1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4, Stories from other cultures. Help NQT

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rachel235, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm a NQT and will be starting my first, full time teaching post in May. I have been told by the current class teacher that one of the units to cover in literacy will be - Stories from other cultures.
    I am just wondering if anyone has any interesting ideas for different texts that I could use? I am open to suggestions and do not mind where the stories are based. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. I just need some good pointers.
    Thanks

2. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

If you search the forums on here lots will come up. Off the top of my head
    Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
    Journey to Jo'berg

I use Seasons of Splendour which is a collection of stories.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

My last school did Grandma Chatterjee, didnt teach it personally but can vouch for the other texts they used!

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

ops - I think it was Grandpa actually

6. Thank you so much everyone.
    It's great to hear what people have used in the past and found things that work.
    Marlin -that list will come in handy throughout the whole school year. Thank you very much
    Upsadaisy- Which stories do you use from Seasons of Splendour?
    Cally, Thanks, Grandpa Chatterji is definitely on my list.

x

7. I use the Hamilton Trust plans which is fantastic and uses Aboriginal culture - the kids loved it. I can't remember the books without checking but I have also used Journey to Jo'burg.

8. I know the school use the Hamilton Trust, so I will go and investigate.
    Thanks very much

9. marlin

I did some work on Grandpa Chatterji by Jamila Gavin. It was with Year 5 though and I used the Literacy World books and Interactive CD. There's a really good DVD available - Book Box Channel 4:
    http://shop.channel4learning.com/?page=shop&cid=7&pid=1648
    It is quite expensive at £50, but you do get 3 other programmes and lots of additional resources. If you do decide to use this book there's a lot of resources on the usual teachers' sites.

10. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I've used 'The Magic Paintbrush', retold by Julia Donaldson, which is set in China. It's a great story for adapting so the children can write their own versions. Alternatively, you could look at versions of Cinderella from different cultures and compare them.
    I'd also recommend you decide which objectives you want to focus on and make sure the text you choose supports these, as sometimes you can have a great book that doesn't lead them where you want them to go.
    Good luck with your first proper class!

11. Marlin, The DVD looks like an excellent resource, thanks.

LilyKitty, that's sage advice thanks. It all seems very daunting at the moment knowing where to start with it all. I will set out my objectives first and then go from there.

12. marlin