1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 PPA - TA struggling to manage behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by LucyJT, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Hi,

I started as a TA in July last yr based in Year 4. I'm struggling with behaviour mgmt when I lead the class during PPA time. The class are generally chatty for the CT but even worse for me. I follow the class rewards/sanctions but wonder what else I could do. Think it may be that I am teaching at a slower pace? Any hints/tips how I could make my PPA cover run smother?

Thanks,

Lx

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Keep following the sanctions/ rewards, and make sure that in all cases, they happen. It;s easy to let things slide.

The key thing to remember here is: what behaviours were you unhappy with? Which behaviours impeded learning. Once you identify that, simply keep pupils behind EVERY TIME they do it. Keep it clear in your head what 'acceptable' means, and then sanction accordingly.

Praise when necessary, but keep praise tight and proportionate. make sure your work is challenging but pitched just above their ability, so they try, but don't fall flat.

And calls home work wonders. But the best ingredient is persistence- keep applying sanctions, leaven with reward, and you;ll get them eventually. But it takes a while, sometimes the whole year, especially if they see you as a cover teacher- sad, but true fact of student psychology.

Good luck

Tom

3. I really feel your pain! I am a TA, covering PPA in year 5. The kids behave better for me than for a supply, but not as well as they do for the CT. I do a PSHE lesson and found that keeping activities short, then regrouping for the next activity works. I place myself near the notorious ones and if I feel behaviour slipping I give them a job to distract them, then ease them back in. I also use the school sanctions and rewards, but also have my own set of special stickers etc. I am starting to dread it a bit less!! Good luck!

4. Thanks for the advice. Since posting this I've also been on a short behaviour mgmt course and it does seem I am doing everything along the right lines. Think I just need to keep plugging away!