1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 poetry to interest boys

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Spinachthellama2, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Can anyone recommend some poems to use with a boy-heavy Year 4 class? I wanted to do something to do with the Japanese tsunami and creating images, but am open to any ideas that have worked well.

2. Can anyone recommend some poems to use with a boy-heavy Year 4 class? I wanted to do something to do with the Japanese tsunami and creating images, but am open to any ideas that have worked well.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Are you wanting just to read poems or are you expecting them to write poems?
    If the latter, why not find images of the tsunami and its effect on the natural landscape and ask the children to write haikus or tankas (Japanese forms of poetry).
    Or you could look at this picture to inspire:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa

4. marlin

5. marlin

6. Thanks Marlin - the last link is great. We are starting by reading poems which create powerful images, then they will write their own with alliteration, similies and onomatopoeia. Our topic is Japan so we'll know a bit about the tsunami beforehand.

7. marlin

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I've written about 900 poems in the last 5 years, encouraged by children in my local primary school. The boys, in particular, loved them and asked me to make a website where they could read them again at home. If you Google JOSIE'S POEMS you will see them. May I suggest that they might like some of the poems for the Olympic Games. The most popular poem is The Joy of Snowboarding, but Be a Football Star would also appeal to the boys I think. They also like poems about the supernatural and monsters, of course, and there is a whole index of these poems. Boys also like animal poems and there are lots in this index too. So Google JOSIE'S POEMS and go to the main index. I hope this helps.