1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Poetry Kennings!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Smythie, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Have a year 4 interview lesson in an all girls independent school friday and have just got lesson topic this afternoon. Have to teach a 25 min poetry lesson to a class of 24 girls. Just trying to formulate ideas at the moment and not knowing what thet have covered was thinking of doing 'kennings'. If anyone has covered these would be interested to know how they went and what year group they were for. Have some ideas - introduce topic share learning intention - show an example of a kenning - then show another and they guess what the topic is. Then they give it a go. So will have to be a brisk lesson. Thought with kennings if their vocabulary is good then should not be a problem. And hopefully it might be something different!

2. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Have a year 4 interview lesson in an all girls independent school friday and have just got lesson topic this afternoon. Have to teach a 25 min poetry lesson to a class of 24 girls. Just trying to formulate ideas at the moment and not knowing what thet have covered was thinking of doing 'kennings'. If anyone has covered these would be interested to know how they went and what year group they were for. Have some ideas - introduce topic share learning intention - show an example of a kenning - then show another and they guess what the topic is. Then they give it a go. So will have to be a brisk lesson. Thought with kennings if their vocabulary is good then should not be a problem. And hopefully it might be something different!

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sounds good. Did Kennings with Y6 recently. Have a few examples and yes, the guessing of the subject helps them understand what a Kenning is. Make sure the subject of the Kenning is familiar - pets and animals are usually a sure fire winner. Spend some time generating examples for one of the subjects to help lower attainer.

4. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

5. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Lesson is only 25 minutes - however have found out they are seated in pairs - so can maybe do think pair share to get them - have also got a mindmap template which will help the weaker ones. Have an IWB so can do ppt introduction - which should help time wise. Hopefully!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Just mailed you :)

7. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Yes I got it - thanks for the ideas.

8. Just finished Poetry unit for Year 3, which included kennings. I hadn't heard of the things before so wasn't sure about teaching it. If you can get hold of a a Scholastic Year 3 Literacy framework book it has a poetry unit, with examples too. We wrote our own and I was so surprised they did really well and loved it.

9. I have just finished teaching kennings - I had never heard of them either, but the kids loved it. I have a powerpoint prsentation if you would like, I think i got the idea from Primary resource bank and adapted it.

10. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Thanks - I have the ppt from primaryresources.
    Hopefully they will not have done them before!

11. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Just trying to pull this lesson together. I have put together a power point - Introduction what is a kenning, then have 2 examples, and they have to guess what the animals are. Look at the structure of the kenning - list format, two words in a line, can be noun-noun or noun-verb. Then I have my dilemma - as the lesson is only 25 minutes long - do we do shared writing doing one together as a class or do
    I get them to write one in pairs on an animal of their choice - using mind map to help and give them list of things to think about with their animal. They are year 4 girls in independent school.

12. I'm interested that no-one on this thread has mentioned Beowulf- especially as the children will have seen the posters for the film around. Across the whale-road rode he... across swan's riding, in his sea-horse... Even though the children can't see the film, the myth is wonderful for lower KS2 children: simple, fun, full of action, boy-friendly, linked to History- and packed full of kennings and alliteration.

13. Bsmirched

Bsmirched New commenter

How about giving them a strip of paper each to think up one line on a given topic, then putting them all together?

14. Smythie

Smythie New commenter

Good idea bsmirched - they are working in pairs - so could do think, pair, share - and in pairs they could come up with a suggestion. Then put it all together - looking for some 'wow' words.