1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Year 4 Persuasive writing new framework help.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 10046326, Feb 26, 2011.

1. I'm currenlty teaching in Year 4 and I am trying to plan a unit of work for persuasion. I find the framework site really vague and I'm struggling to come up with ideas.
    If you have any ideas or any planning I could look at I would grealty appreciate it.
    A stressed and tired teacher. xx[​IMG]

2. I'm currenlty teaching in Year 4 and I am trying to plan a unit of work for persuasion. I find the framework site really vague and I'm struggling to come up with ideas.
    If you have any ideas or any planning I could look at I would grealty appreciate it.
    A stressed and tired teacher. xx[​IMG]

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

4. I link it to the topic I'm teaching. First week and half looking at adverts on paper and persuasive features, followed by research and then making a brochure to persuade people to visit ... (whatever your topic is). Second week and a half is spent looking at TV adverts and differences between paper and TV. Then we make a photostory advert for (whatever the topic is). All children write a voiceover for their group advert, and they choose one to put with the photostory ad.
    Hope this helps.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I have done a movie trailer in groups of 6 before, the children watched trailers for popular kids films and identified the persuasive features like music, sound effects, use of voiceover, cliffhangers etc. Then I showed a movie that tied into a text they had read (in our case The Iron Giant as they had done The Iron Man not long before) and selected the moments they would ideally put in their own trailer. I then put together a trailer of the film (though this took hours using downloadable software so I wouldnt necessarily recommend it) and the children wrote the script to suit the match the trailer. We then added sound effects and music and recorded the children performing it. It was sooooo much fun! I was on placement at the time and my leaving gift to the kids was to put their audio over my trailer and record it onto a dvd for each of them.

I also recently did radio jingles.

6. This sounds exactly what I want to achieve!!! Would you consider possibly share your planning? I must admit Im struggling!!!!

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would but we had a burglary recently and everything was saved on my laptop, and no I didn't back up (silly I know, ive lost sooo many fab plans). I will check my stick at work tomorrow on the off chance that I did save some on it! If I find anything at all I will message you.
    The editing software I used to compile the clips for the trailer was called campari or something similar and I added the sound using the same software after. It is pretty straightforward to do but tedious, it really did take hours, I cant imagine finding the time now as an NQT!

8. So sorry to hear about your burglary! If you do find planning on your stick my e-mail address is
    bowditch7@talktalk.net
    Many thanks!