1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Observation for interview - Maths

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ilikechips, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I am new to this forum and would like some advice if possible!
    I have an lesson observation as part of an interview on Monday and have to teach Maths to a year 4 class. The lesson lasts 45 minutes and needs to focus on the four operations.

The pupils abilities range from 2b-4c.

I would really appreciate it if anyone on here has any ideas for me.

I was thinking about doing a mental starter with number bonds up to 100 but starting off with 20 and 50 to give the LA a chance to answer some of the questions correctly and aim to expand their learning. Children to use whiteboards.

For the main part of the lesson I was thinking about doing some kind of inversion lesson with multiplication and division with 2, 3, 5 and 10 x tables and possibly 4 x tables for HA.

I'm not sure where I could fit some subtraction in - any ideas?

I would love to get some really good ICT into my lesson and some kinesthetic learning in there too.

It sounds a little bit boring so far...so any advice on how to spice it up would be very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

2. a lesson observation!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

No mention of a learning objective there - I'd expect you to start withthat, ather than simply try to cram things in that you think 'ought' to be in there. You'll impress if you set an objective and show the children have met it, rather than if you perform a circus of activities.

4. hey
    trying to do the 4 operations is quite tricky - do u have to do all 4. Why not try inverse operation - changing additions into subtractions, divisions into multiplication sums. e.g __ + 83 = 96 or 36 divided by __ = 6. Discuss how to work this out.
    Just an idea - what is the LO, if u tell me that might have more suggestions

5. In the email it says "The lesson should focus on the four operations of number" so it certainly looks like I have to teach all 4 - tricky in a 45 minute lesson (35 mins if I do a mental starter). I would have phoned the school up but I didn't get the details until 5pm on Friday, the email doesn't even say what time I have to be in on Monday...so I will get there for 8-8.30am just in case!

The email also says "The children have prior understanding of place value, number bonds and the four operations of number".

I haven't been given a learning objective but I think something along the lines of 'To understand how/be able to solve calculations using inversion'.

I think inversion is probably going to be the best option. What do you think?

Thanks for your help on this so far Massey118 and Middlemarch - I really appreciate it.

6. The idea is that you should be able to come up with a clear learning objective for the lesson and demonstrate how you will ensure children make progress.