1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 NQTs 2009-10

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by charlottie1986, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Have a WONDERFUL half-term holiday and a well-deserved rest. We're one sixth of the way there now!

2. Just to say, you shouldn't be keeping a folder of evidence to show you are meeting the standards. This is not a requirement of passing the NQT year.

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It's more like a tick-list, so I highlight when I've met a standard and write myself a little note to say how I met it. Apparently my LA recommend it to all the mentors, saying it makes it easier to write reports and things. But my mentor reassured me it's not a big folder full of stuff, like for my PGCE.
    Happy half-term.

4. Oh ok, that's better then. Still don't think it's a good idea though, they should be proving you're not meeting the standards if they want to fail you, not you proving you are if you want to pass.

5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

What can I do? It's LA recommended!

6. I've not had much input from my mentor at all on NQT stuff. I had one meeting in my 3rd week which outlined my areas i'd like to develop. Then I had 1 30min observation in Week 4.
    I have had NQT packs with the core standards list etc sent to me by the LA but my school havent told me what I should be doing with them. Nor have I been sent on any courses. I am one of 2 NQTs in my school and feel on the one hand I'm being thrown in at the deep end with no idea what to do, and the other half of me feels as if they must be confident in us to just leave us to get on with it.
    Any ideas what I should be keeping track of to show at the end of this year? Just in case they expect me to produce something that they've not specified!!

7. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Hello everyone!
    How are you all feeling? Hopefully I'm not the only one who's chasing my tail a little and being a little down at the moment. I've decided I need to get outside a bit during daylight hours, so am going to make a concerted effort once a day to go for a brisk stroll around the school grounds at break or lunch.
    I am feeling happy, however, that my next class assembly isn't for 4 weeks and I've already got the whole thing planned out. Hurrah!

8. aztec568

aztec568 New commenter

I have just finished my NQT year in Year 4. I read a book called 1,2,3 Magic for Teachers. I must say it has saved my life and is the most simple but incredibly powerful discipline system I have come across. Made my NQT year mostly stress free from low level interuptions etc. Hang in their too... it really does get better. Good luck.

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Thanks for the tip, Aztec! They were better today, but generally acknowledged by all to be difficult. I've tried lots of different strategies, so I will look into this book asap.