1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 NQTs 2009-10

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by charlottie1986, Jul 13, 2009.

1. liz-walter@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!!

2. Hi Lizzie.
    You have mail!

3. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Sorry to be a pain, but please could I have a copy of your card idea too?
    sexymouse83@yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks.

4. Hi,
    I love the idea of the profiles, they sound very orginal! Would it be possible to sent me the template for that and the one where they colour to show their feelings about subjects? They both sound brilliant for the first day back!

5. Sorry, my email address is l_wood_1@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks very much!!

6. Would I be able to have a copy too?! It sounds like a brilliant idea!
    Thanks very much x
    l_wood_1@yahoo.co.uk.

7. Hi Sillow, i've been looking for a passport style activity to do on the first day to help get to know my kids. Would it be possible to have a copy?!
    l_wood_1@yahoo.co.uk
    Thanks very much!! x

8. Woody_1 & sexymouse - you have mail.
    KC

9. SexyMouse

SexyMouse New commenter

Thank you KC :0)

10. ORB

ORB

Hi! I am also a Year 4 teacher and an NQT. I may well be the person with the most children in the classroom, 37 of them!!!!! Surely that is too much for anyone. Yesterday I went to school to see my classroom and gather some info about the children. It seemed that all my requests were someome else's responsability and everything got put off till the staff development days, on the 3rd and 4rth of September. I have to admit the stress is starting to creep up.
    I have to plan but I am team planning, the classroom is filled with both year 3 and 4 groups resources and I have to wait for another teacher to clean up her classroom to retrieve my year group books.
    Don't take me wrong, I love the fact I have my own classroom and I am looking foward to this, but I cannot just wait for the weekend before school term to do all these things.
    Am I taking things too seriously or should I just wait for the provervial 3rd for everything to happen?

ORB

11. Thanks so much. This will be really useful if I get the time to use it at the start of term!

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Good luck to everyone starting this week or next... My first INSET day is tomorrow, then the kids come back on Thursday! Going to make sure I've got everything sorted today, then relax this evening.
    Anyone else a little nervous?!

13. YES!! I'm starting to run through things in my head and driving myself crazy with how harsh/friendly to be on the first day. I have Curriculum Days on Thurs and Fri and then the kids hit us on Monday, so I have a little longer than you to take it in.

14. Just wanted to say Good luck, I was an NQT last year and it went really well. In terms of how harsh/friendly to be, be firm but fair. For example, when the children come in ask them to stand behind their chairs, when they are listening to you praise them, when they are too loud tell them. You don't need to be harsh but just constantly explain your expectations, then they can't moan at you saying 'But you never told us to do...'

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

How have people's first days gone?
    I've had two inset days, two days with the kids. It's been really great; I'm feeling happy about my planning and the kids are really sweet (on the whole). I'm looking forward to going back next week!

16. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Well, one month on, how are people feeling? I'm guessing everyone's been very busy at it's been quiet in here!
    I'm doing okay, although finding behaviour management tough now the kids have got used to me. Trying out new strategies all the time, watching other teachers and going to the *** for an NQT session on it next Tuesday - hopefully that'll help!
    At the moment I'm a little hoarse, I have a sore throat and chesty cough. I haven't lost my voice yet and really hope I won't.
    Hope everyone's doing good and enjoyed their first pay day!!! [​IMG]

17. Tired! So very, very tired!

I found out yesterday that we've got Ofsted in next week, so that's not helping the stress levels!

I just seem to spend every waking moment either creating resources, planning or setting up my classroom. Everyone keeps telling me it'll settle down after the first few months, but at the moment it feels just like being on teaching practice.

I've already spent my first month's pay [​IMG] I had a lot of people I owed money to... I had to move to a new city and pay rent and bills with no income!

Ah well. How's everyone else?

18. Tired here too. Like KJFletcher I keep getting told it'll get easier but I can't really see how because it feels like I'm doing the bare minimum and only just staying afloat.
    On the plus side I'm getting to know my class and behaviour management is much less of an issue than it was in the first two weeks. I'm slowly getting to grips with the million things you have to keep track of and there's even the odd day when I feel all teachery :) My main issue at the moment is time management. I seem to spend all my time planning and marking.
    In another thread I started some of the teachers mentioned that they do all their planning during PPA time. For me that would mean detailed planning of 21 lessons in 120 minutes, so just under 6 minutes per lesson to come up with something that engages the children, caters for a wide variety of abilities and to make/find the resources for it!

19. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Wow, you have 21 lessons to teach a week? We only have four lessons a day, so with my PPA and NQT time, plus one lesson of swimming, that only leaves me with 14 lessons to plan. No wonder you find you have so much to do!

20. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Have just found out from my mentor that we need to keep a folder of evidence showing we've met the core standards.
    Argh! She made it sound like such hard work and I'm sure I'll keep forgetting to write in it.