1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Maths Rounding - please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by hummingbird21, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but my head is literally about to explode, so forgive me.

I'm a student teacher on my second placement at the moment, and I'm currently planning a week's worth of Maths lessons on Rounding and Decimals. I've been looking online for the past few days and am just completely stuck. The children just finished a topic on Dragonology and are about to start one on their village, so there's not really any topic links I can make.

I thought about doing a lesson on Rounding using the Titanic, i.e. how many lifeboats would be needed, let's round them up to tens, hundreds and moving on to thousands etc. But then when it came to it I felt like this was a bit of a rubbish idea, and now I'm completely stressing out because my teacher actually wanted me to link the Maths to Science. The chn are currently learning about muscles and the length of their bones etc. and she wanted them to use these measurements in rounding, but obviously they're only going to be in tens or hundreds and the curriculum says they're meant to round to the nearest thousand and, basically, I don't know what to do, because that won't work and she loves the Hamilton Trust site and will be annoyed I'm not using that in the first place, even though it's rubbish and the last time we used it I got an Inadequate in my observation (bear in mind I was getting Goods and Outstandings before that).

I'm teaching the first Maths lesson tomorrow morning and I have nothing to show for it so far. Please please help me if you can and sorry for waffling. WHATDOIDO!?!

2. Firstly breathe!

If you want the maths to link to muscles and bones you can still do that, why don't you make up some measurements for the children to work with (to start with then they could measure themselves possibly?!) and if you want them to round to the nearest 1000 you could just give them details of a larger animal or a dragon if it still links, or anything really!

Or you could cover rounding to the nearest 1000 in the starter, give them a 4 digit number and together round the same number to the nearest 10, then 100, then 1000 as this is what I've found they struggle with. I've just started my plan for yr 4 A3 if you'd like me to send it to you? Leave your email ad :)

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

Don't stress!
    <u>What is the objective you are meant to be teaching?</u>
    <u>What do you want the children to have learned by the end of your lesson?</u>
    <u>That should be your starting point.</u>
    Use the following to structure your lesson:
    (Intro)
    Recap - What was the last thing they did on rounding? Look at Unit from Spring Term
    (Main)
    Teach - New rounding concept 10's and 100's.
    Apply - Practise rounding numbers - Set off LA and AA
    Keep HA with you and extend to rounding 1000's
    Apply - HA practise rounding 10's, 100's and 1000's
    Check LA and AA answers for first 5 problems or similar. Cream off those that are struggling to work with you to put misconceptions right.
    (Plenary)
    Review - What have we learned? Link it to science rounding of bones to nearest 10 or 100.

Day 2
    (Intro)
    Recap - Use the review from previous day
    (Main)
    Teach - Use rounding in the context of measuring bone lengths
    (Possibly bring in rounding to 1000 depending on the outcome of previous day)
    Apply - LA and AA = 10 and 100's in context (Possibly 1000's for AA)
    HA = 10's, 100's and 1000's.
    (Plenary)
    Review - What have we learned today?

Maths Framework units should help you on content:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100612050234/http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/18537

4. That would be amazing if you wouldn't mind, thank you so much. It's youallknownoggin@hotmail.com. Thank you again! :)

5. This is amazing too, thank you so much! Brilliant stuff :)

6. You have mail :) Hope it's of some use!