1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 literacy topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kathtamplin, Feb 5, 2011.

1. kathtamplin

kathtamplin New commenter

Could anyone suggest a good book to read with year 4 to be the basis of a literacy based topic? I'm planning on offering them extracts over the next week or so so that they can choose their favourite. They have a very wide ability spread.

2. kathtamplin

Could anyone suggest a good book to read with year 4 to be the basis of a literacy based topic? I'm planning on offering them extracts over the next week or so so that they can choose their favourite. They have a very wide ability spread.

3. CB123

CB123 New commenter

One of Roald Dahls??
    Children tend to enjoy his books

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Bill's New Frock by Anne Fine

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

The chicken gave it to me - opens up lots of writing about dilemma's

6. kathtamplin

Thank you - I'd forgotten about Anne Fine. Roald Dahl I know they'd like but I've only had the class since Christmas and I think they did a lot of him last term. A shame because he is so good to read aloud.

7. Have just done the BFG with my year 4 class, they absolutely loved it. Before that it was 'The Suitcase Kid' by J.Wilson, very popular too, and lots of them could relate to it. I was worried whether it was more of a 'girls' book' but the boys were really into it too.

8. rc07

rc07 New commenter

Mine are spell bound by Michael Morpurgo's Kensuke's Kingdom at the moment - you could hear a pin drop when I am reading it, and believe me that is rare for my class! Good especially for mid to high ability if it's being followed up with work, if it's just a listen-to story lowers should enjoy it too.