1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Literacy - stories set in Imaginary Worlds...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smithy1983, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm new to Year 4 and about to sit down a plan a units worth of Literacy work based around stories set in imaginary worlds.
    I have some idea of texts / film clips I would like to use (inc. Shrek, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the BFG) but would really appreciate any ideas for activities based around these texts from anyone who may have taught this unit before!
    Any ideas hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

2. Hello, I am doing this text now and have been basing it on all them, We spent week 1 looking at the settings, how did the author create the mood, what descriptive language was used, comparing and contrasting all the settings, why did you like it.
    This week we are doing, changing settings to create different moods, using a planner, orally telling a story, etc Hope it goes well : )

3. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

One of my favourite activities for this unit is: choose three texts (I use 'Beyond the Deepwoods', 'The Silver Chair' and 'The Amber Spyglass') and select a few paragraphs from each that have a description of the world. Each child can choose one of the texts. Using coloured pencils, they underline the describing words/similes in that text. Then, on a piece of A5 paper, they draw their own picture of that world, using the underlined words to help. Stick the A5 paper in the middle of an A4 piece of paper or Literacy book. The children then annotate the picture they've drawn, by writing exact quotes from the text as evidence for why they have drawn things the way they have.
    This can then be done the other way around. Give children a fantasy worlds picture (sci-fi book covers by Chris Moore are always good) and they have to annotate the picture using descriptive language. Then they can write their own descriptive paragraph about that fantasy world.