1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Literacy Group Names -Ideas please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nutty06, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Punctuation marks?

2. I use words, sentences, paragraphs and chapters. - words are SEN group and chapters are more able! my year 4 class last year did work out the logic of it by the end of year though!

3. I unfortunately let my Year 3 class choose their own and when they voted Sponge Bob won, I now have Sponge Bob, Squidward, Gary, Mr Krabbs, Patrick and Plankton!! So much for freedom of choice.

4. jog_on

jog_on New commenter

itsonlyme - are you being serious? I think all group names should be of "equal value" and not represent ability...or not obviously anyway!

5. Unless of course you choose full stops for your LA group! ;)

6. I think I am going to use Punctuation as a basis for group names as will be able to use symbols as oppose to words when refering which will make it easier!

7. My class love History so groups are Terrific Tudors, Excellent Egyptians, Super Stuarts, Victorious Vikings, Riveting Romans.

8. I only had four groups and so I used Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. The kids loved it! Ok, so did I!!!!

9. I use Amazing, Brilliant, Dynamic, Excellent and Fantastic. I then have table signs that say We are Amazing at Maths/Literacy etc which they use during the said lessons. Works well as I get them to shout it and chant it and sing it etc

10. My maths groups are adders subtractors multipliers and dividers and my literacy groups are words, sentences, paragraphs and chapters.

11. I always choose children's authors for Guided Reading and Literacy Groups & colours for Maths. For other subjects I use a topic based theme eg. Henry's wives for the Tudors or rivers of the world for a Rivers topic.

12. I have shapes for maths
    I have letters, sentences, words etc for english
    I have planets for science

13. Nice, I'm just grouping my Y5 class.

Science groups named after scientists (Leonardo, Newton, Curie, Lovelace, Darwin).

Maths groups named after Greek letters starting backwards from omega - this enables you to disguise ability to the children whilst making clear to adults which group is what.

Stumped for Literacy and GR.