1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Lipograms

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 10, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There is time in 30 mins to retell Cinderella, though it may be a little young for year 4.

But like the other poster, I don't get the point of missing out a single letter. Cinerea, is not more advanced than Cinderella just because one misses out the ls.

2. The point is they have to think of other ways to say and describe things if they can't use a word because it contains a banned letter, not just write the word missing out the letters they aren't supposed to use, clearly that would not make sense!

3. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

But what's to stop the creative replacement words also having the banned letters? Words aren't more or less creative just cos they've got, or not got, certain letters in them! All sounds a bit gimmicky to me. Wouldn't go there if I were you.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

What's the learning objective?

5. I haven't decided on an exact wording for the learning objective but it's along the lines of: To extend creativity in vocabulary choices. The only brief i have been given for my lesson is 'creativity'. It is a VERY creative school and the whole idea behind lipograms comes from a group of French writers and mathematicians called oulipo that believed that putting constraints on written work increased creativity.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Well no it didn't make sense!

Ok I get that it will be fun and would make them think about spelling as well as the word itself. All good. Might try it myself with year 6 since it is the end of term and I'm not worrying too much about LOs that mean anything right now.

You might need something more learning/progress focussed for an interview though?

7. If I may weigh in; the idea isn't to use more creative words (if such a concept even makes sense), but to force the children to be more creative in their use of words.
    It's all too easy to get into the habit of repeating certain phrases, or writing things in a particular way.
    Think about the way you greet a class in the morning. Write it down, and then rewrite it without any words containing the letter "a". Or "s". Or, most evil of all, "e". Can you honestly say that excercise isn't forcing your brain to work that little bit harder at getting your point across?

8. Thanks sunscorch, that is the point exactly. Can you comment on whether this would be a bit too taxing, or not, for Year 4's in mixed ability groups in a 30 minute lesson taking into account that I have to get a starter and plenary in there? I'm swinging wildly between this idea and a tried, tested and approved lesson on performance poetry but thought this might fill the creativity criteria a bit better?

9. I don't see why it wouldn't fit, although Minnie's point about doing something more straight-edge is certainly an issue.
    Let me come clean, first, I'm not a teacher, I'm a TA starting my PGCE in September. That said, I would differentiate it as follows:
    Lower ability: Provide sentences to rewrite without an easy consonant. "M" perhaps.
    Middle ability: Provide some sentences, extend to continue on their own. Use an easier vowel like "o" or "u".
    High ability: Start from scratch without "e"! Or "a" if you're feeling nice.
    For the input, I would check that they all know the basic storyline, then model the Low ability's task with some pre-prepped sentences that cover the main points of the story (just in case), so they would be continuing with the same letter removal as you did, and explain the change to the two higher groups.
    Plenary could be two or three reading out their favourite sentences from their work.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't differentiate with writing at all.

Get them to retell the story without a consonant. Maybe give each mixed ability group a different scene of the story. Make it a stipulation that everyone has to speak. Give them a while to think and practise and then perform.

Definitely wouldn't have them copying out sentences in any lesson, but most certainly not an interview one!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You want to make them think - try getting children to recount a story verbally without using "and". Now that makes them think - we did this as a form of "Just a minute" - no repetition, deviation - but we allowed hesitation.

12. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Still think that while this may be fun it's not necessarily more creative..... 'Good morning children, how's it going?' (no 'a' s allowed) is no more creative than 'Good morning Year 6, how are you all today?'

13. I've always used lipograms in year six but only as a ten minute activity during plenaries.

14. At the school I'm currently working in, the class teacher is required to differentiate in all Literacy and Numeracy lessons, to three ability groups. I guess I'm just used to working to the stipulation at the moment. Rereading, mixed ability was specified, so obviously no point in differentiating.
    For the record, though, I didn't mean to imply any copying out of sentences; but to provide starter sentences to paraphrase, as the focus is developing vocabulary, not necessarily writing a narrative.

15. Obviously a fan of Alan peat!??

I did this last week with my year 5's they lived it we did jack and the bean stalk with no letter o.

So jack couldn't sell his cow at Market he had to sell his dairy animal or milk giving pet.

Try and do humpty dumpty sat on the wall with no o in it! It's not easy - you cannot change the meaning for example humpty dumpty sat against the wall.

We retold the story in 50 words - mini saga we told it as an acrostics and using yoked sentences! The writing and wordplay was brilliant!

16. Start off just doing sentences omitting o e.g jack was a boy who lived with his mother, they were very poor becomes jack was a young male, he lived with his mum and they had an extreme lack of cash

Encourages thesaurus use, use of punctuation also plus word order

Humpty dumpty was sat on the wall

Could become the wall is where humPty dumpty sat - you can discuss phrase order at this point, use a thesaurus to look up on or top and children could be writing humpty dumpty sat at the wall's summit sat astride the pinnacle.

If this is not creative language use then sorry Razzie I don't know what is

17. Sorry about lack of formatting - I am on my phone

18. Young? =P

19. Yeah sorry about that one!
    Obviously not young - small, immature, little, etc
    But you get the point!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Sounds like the perfect game for I'm sorry I haven't a clue!