1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Geography - India first lesson ideas?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by captain oats, Sep 15, 2007.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I'm starting my India topic with my year 4 class next week.

Concentrating on Chembakolli and looking at village life etc.

Want to start with looking at where India is in relation to the UK and where Chembakolli is.

I want my first lesson to be exciting and interactive because i want the children to be excited about the topic (and it is also being observed) any ideas?

2. captain oats

I'm starting my India topic with my year 4 class next week.

Concentrating on Chembakolli and looking at village life etc.

Want to start with looking at where India is in relation to the UK and where Chembakolli is.

I want my first lesson to be exciting and interactive because i want the children to be excited about the topic (and it is also being observed) any ideas?

3. Google earth to show where you are then atlases - index, find different countries. Give them time to look - mine were excited at finding Madagascar - boys in particular........
    Boring looking lessons on paper can often be the most exciting.

4. I always start with "What do I already know about ...." This way the children can look back at the end of the unit and see how much they've learnt by doing a "What I know now about...."

We did a spider diagram last year about India with me modelling notes on the board. I'd then look at Google Earth (like somebody else suggested) and do the flight there, listing the countries you pass through.

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter

See if they can work out the size of UK and India. How many UKs can fit inside India is always interesting. Distance from UK and how would we travel to get there etc.

6. captain oats

I already have a basic map of India on a display and want children to add on detail - how could I incorporate the display into the lesson?

Will start with the 'what I know' and 'what I want to know'.

When you say plan a journey, how could I do this?

7. For adding to a display map - the children have helped me label features/places etc by sticking on laminated labels.

As a starting point I've used a photo pack (can't remember which one) and got the children to sort the pictures into which ones they thought were England and India - was very good for stereotypes!

8. captain oats

Right got it sorted:

Going to do 'what I know, what I want to know'

Where is India (look at Google Earth)?

Draw an outline.

Look at detailed maps of India, mark on different places.

Then briefly look at some pictures - what do you think is happening? why? (although, could maybe leave this?)

But now need to think about differentiation, i have two statemented children and a variety of abilities, any ideas?

9. MsK

MsK

I'm linking to information texts (literacy) too

10. Hi there,
    i have been researching on india for the last couple of weeks and i have just come across your message. I am also linking information texts to do this do you have any ideas how you did this. I would be most grateful if you have anything at all. Thanks!!

11. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

When I started this unit we did mapping and looking at globes, how we would travel there, look at climate maps etc.
    Then second lesson we looked at contrasting photos from the UK and India and Chembakolli.
    There is absolutely loads out there for this topic. But I linked it to stories from other cultures. We made posters on A3 with all the info the children found in their investigations and then made mini books that we attached to the posters.

12. teacherman2

teacherman2 New commenter

13. I know this thread is over a year old, but robjowett1, do you have those files anywhere else? I can't download them from wherever it is you've saved them!

14. There's a free interactive map on Oddizzi.com
    It's a bit easier to handle than google as it's child friendly.