1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 fractions

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by bombaysapphire, Jun 25, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Step 1 - check they know what a fraction is. What does 3/4 mean? How could you draw a picture to represent it?
    If they are ok with drawing fractions and identifying them from pictures then I would move onto finding fractions of amounts.
    When they can do that then give them a sheet of paper with a 30cm line marked on it. Get them to generate a fraction by throwing 2 dice and putting the smaller number over the bigger one. They then find e.g. 2/3 of 30 and mark 2/3 on their number line.
    It's a nice way for them to "discover" equivalent fractions and practice of fractions of amounts at the same time.

2. I like the idea in the second part of your message, but I'm not sure I follow what you mean about the 30cm line? It sounds like a nice idea if I can get my head around it!

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Draw a line 30cm long on a piece of paper. Mark 0 at one end and 1 at the other. Photocopy these and give them out to the students. I usually get them to do this in pairs.
    Once students have generated a fraction e.g. 2/3 they find 2/3 of 30 and mark 20cm along the number line and label it 2/3.
    The only fractions that give rise to fractions are 1/4 and 3/4. It may be worth providing calculators for students who might struggle with the division and multiplication.

4. I suggest a whole class activity to determine the understanding of the students.
    You can ask the class to split themselves into halves. You can then discuss how they can check if the class is divided in halves. This will allow you to discuss what the numerator in the fraction one-half means and also what the denominator tells you. If the class has an odd number of students you can discuss what it means to divide the class into two equal sized groups and whether it is possible. You can extend this activity to different fractions eg. one-third, one-quarter depending on how many students are in the class. If the class is split into thirds, you can ask two-thirds of the class to raise their hands or stand up etc. The activity then becomes more mobile and active. You can also discuss the fact that three-thirds equals one whole and you can use the class to model a whole.
    From an activity like this you can then move onto other activities like folding paper into different fractions or working with objects.
    I hope this helps.