1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 Division

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lattedrinker, Nov 22, 2015.

1. lattedrinker

lattedrinker New commenter

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to year 4 and finding it quite difficult. Last week in maths, we looked at dividing using the chunking method. I taught them how to chunk on a number line, but I'm not sure if this is what I should have done. When I now check online about this, it shows it using 'long division' such as...216/12=
    (10x12) 120
    (5x12) -60
    (3x12) -36
    So, my question is, have I taught them wrong? would this be the method I teach them next? Or do we go onto the short division using a written in the more formal division form?
    Thanks for reading and I look forward to any replies.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

With year 4 I would also have taught (though most ought to have already been vaguely aware) to chunk on a numberline as a first step, moving to column chunking later.
    If you use repeated subtraction to chunk on the numberline, and subtract multiple chunks at a time, it is a simple step to column chunking later in the year.

3. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Why not move on to division by taking away chunks in columns straight after the number line chunking? And then onto "perfect chunking" - so n the example given they would take away two chunks only - 10 lots of 12 and then 8 lots of 12 - ready for more formal long division? If they can do division by one digit by taking away on a number line much further down the school, what's the need to drag out dividing by two digits over such a long period?

At our school division was incredibly badly taught under both the old and new curriculum - just like learning to read and telling the time it's get help from home or a tutor or be unnecessarily rubbish at it.

If school did more of it division by two digits is fantastic arithmetic practise as it involves adding, subtracting and multiplying.

4. ashlaura

ashlaura Occasional commenter

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

There is actually no right or wrong method, just a requirement to teach a formal written method.
    If the children can divide efficiently, then you have done the right thing.

Having said that, your school may have a calculation policy setting out the precise method you need to use. Ask your maths leader.

6. conceptualmaths

conceptualmaths New commenter

7. conceptualmaths

conceptualmaths New commenter

Are you sure you should be teaching this is to Year 4. The National Curriculum statements say:
    • recall multiplication and division facts for multiplication tables up to 12 × 12
    • use place value, known and derived facts to multiply and divide mentally, including: multiplying by 0 and 1; dividing by 1; multiplying together three numbers.
    The non statutory advice does suggest:

Pupils continue to practise recalling and using multiplication tables and related division facts to aid fluency.

Pupils practise mental methods and extend this to three-digit numbers to derive facts, (for example 600 ÷ 3 = 200 can be derived from 2 x 3 = 6).

Pupils practise to become fluent in the formal written method of short multiplication and short division with exact answers (see Mathematics Appendix 1 ).

Division with 2 digit divisors comes later in the curriculum.

However, you might want to consider the use of arrays to model division.
    Partitioning for division

The array is also a flexible model for division of larger numbers

56 ÷ 8 = 7

upload_2015-11-23_22-49-9.png
    Hope this helps.

8. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

As long as you arrive successfully at the right place by the end of KS2 or earlier it doesn't really matter does it?

Teaching of division has always puzzled me - why do teachers chunk in columns when they are dividing by two digits and not when they are dividing by 1 digit?

and why do teachers not seem to know how to relate division by chunking in columns to formal long division?

It's a mess the way it's taught at our school both in the old and the new curriculum. The difference in the new curriculum seems to be that they are doing most of it LATER not earlier but they are then doing formal long division in year 6 which they weren't covering under the old curriculum ......... but not explained well. Just a method to learn.

9. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Know your kids. If they're ready to do formal methods then teach them that. The ones who still need to put counters in groups, let them practise that. Division is division, regardless of what a fancy new curriculum tells you to do.