1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 children at level 5b/a?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nacca, Aug 7, 2011.

1. nacca

nacca New commenter

Hi
    My colleague in year 5 (middle school) has received teacher assessment/ test results from the four feeder lower schools. 28 of the 60 children, entering yr 5 in September, are working at L5b or L5a in maths and English! Does that seem a lot of very able children? We were both a little shocked! Nacca

2. nacca

nacca New commenter

Hi
    My colleague in year 5 (middle school) has received teacher assessment/ test results from the four feeder lower schools. 28 of the 60 children, entering yr 5 in September, are working at L5b or L5a in maths and English! Does that seem a lot of very able children? We were both a little shocked! Nacca

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Wow, clearly something in the water to have SO many working at this level! Either you are fed by VERY academic infant schools or someone is telling porkies!
    I would re-test immediately! I teach yr 5/6 and of the 12 in year 4, 1 child will be coming into yr 5 working at a 5a in maths and 4a in English, 28 out of 30 is unbelievable ( literally!)

4. thegoose

thegoose New commenter

Without knowing the children it is hard to comment but it does seem a lot of very able children. I would question if the lower schools have a good understanding of Level 4 and level 5. I have worked for many years in year 6 and you can instinctively recognise a level 4 or level 5 piece of work because you are surrounded by them (does that make sense?). I would suggest they 'reassess' at the start of term then your colleague would feel happier with the children's baseline. x

5. nacca

nacca New commenter

Good - it's not just me then! I did wonder! I agree that teaching year 6 (and their tests being externally marked) you get a greater understanding of these levels. Lower schools, unfortunately, are not externally moderated!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it would be very unusual.
    Anecdotally I took a Year 7 class last year and from what I discovered children who moved up ostensibly working at level 5 floundered a little at first. What had counted as level 5 criteria at KS2 seemed to be to be different to expected criteria at KS3 from the materials I was working with. This could be the 'expected downturn after testing' plus the holidays of course.
    Also in a 3 tier system pressure is on Primary staff to show improvement as they have no KS2 results so perhaps they were artificially inflating the results or were unfamiliar with criteria?

7. Seems very, very high to me. Will be interesting to see how many after a 6 week break will still be working at that level or how many the last teacher just wanted to bump up to a higher level.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But from four different schools it would be unlikely due to oddities in test marking/administration. Some years you do just get good results.

I would test them on arrival (all the children obviously) with a KS2 SATs paper. If they are level 3 or above then it shouldn't be an issue for any of the children. But your middle school colleague will probably do that anyway in order for them to show value added.

Nearly half at level 5 already would be fabulous though!

9. I teach upper English in Year 5, at a school with very high levels and very able children. I have never received a child from Year 4 working at level 5 in writing and only rarely do we in reading/maths. This year, about 6-7 of my class of 30 left me to enter year 6 working at a 5c and one at a 5b. I would suggest those levels you mention are massively inflated.

10. The results seem very high to me too but I guess without knowing the children, it is hard to say otherwise. As others have said, reassess them on starting with you. I would be surprised if you agree with those results though.

11. I agree with the other posters, I would retest again in September. I have taught Year 4 for 5 years. I find it difficult to see even the very able achieving level 5b/a. I have had G&T children at a 4a but their understanding and language in literacy assessments would not be level 5.
    It might be that you have very gifted children, good luck if so! But definitely test again in September. It's fair on you and the children.
    x