1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 angry behaviour

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by GemJ89, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I have a high percentage of challenging behaviour in my classroom including anger issues and was wondering if anyone had any advice on techniques to maintain a calm environment?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

GemJ89

I have worked very very briefly at a PRU on supply. The unit has a time out room where students can go to calm down. The room is seen as a safe place where the children can calm down before returning to class.

As far as keeping a calm environment in the classroom, if you are looking for advice and techniques, you may wish to contact your local PRU since some of them provide short training courses and may be able to direct you to other useful resources or books to read on how to manage students who have anger issues.

3. As well as a Time Out room (this may not always be practical unless you have another adult handy or a whole school policy) I'd think about having a calm chair or desk within the room where a pupil can sit at their own or your request. If you have a few students with issues I'd be doing proactive work on recognising triggers and developing calming strategies. In serious cases you could have a chart which records whether they've been able to use their strategies, with a small reward for success. The SEAL materials have some good whole class/ small group teaching activities. imo coping skills have to be taught and practised like any other area of learning.

4. With classes where there is a lot of challenging behaviour, I personally think 'safe' rather than 'control'. If you ensure the pupils feel safe in your classroom - is the work really set for the level they are at? - and help them understand that they will be able to do what they are being asked to do, they will begin to settle.

A lot of challenging behaviour comes from anxiety. If you provide some lessons initially which are really structured, with a lot of support and not much demand on the pupils in terms of arriving at answers independently, you will start being able to move in the direction you want to go. It takes time to build up trust. And obviously there are some lines which cannot be crossed and where the pupils will have to be removed, - such as if they are verbally abusive. Can you ask for a behaviour support or learning support teacher to help you with this class? An extra adult can go a long way in helping to maintain order and focus..

5. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

A removal zone is a good idea- a place where students can be taken when they start to lose it. But it also needs to be within the teacher's control- it shouldn't just be the kids taking themselves off when they feel like it, or they'll never learn restraint. Instead, the teacher needs to be alert and sensitive to the situation, and give the nod to the student if they want to allow them to leave. They need to be monitored in this place, and only allowed back in when the supporting staff member permits it, not when they student wants to return. That way it avoids being something that the student abuses, and becomes something that is only used as a last resort.

Good luck

Tom