1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 4 alliteration.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taspat, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hi
    Im a student teacher and need some advice please. I'm going to teach year 4 a lesson on alliteration. I'm going to start of by giving each table a sheet of paper with a letter on it and get them to write down lots of describing words that begin with that letter.
    Then I will bring them on the carpet and we will discuss what alliteration means and we will analyse an alliteration poem - Peter Plunketts's Trumpet.
    It's the main actvity which I am struggling on. I don't know which activity is better to use or if they are in fact any good.
    I was thinking of getting the children to write a poem using alliteration based on the letter of their first name, so simmilar to the Peter Plunkett poem. I will model this to them so that they understand. Should I tell the children to make sure they include an adjective and verb in each line e.g. Sleepy Sam slept all day or should I not do this? Should I get them to write 1 verse or 4 verses?
    Or should I give each child a letter and get them to think of an animal that begins with that letter and write a poem using alliteration of that letter e.g. for A - The amazing ant ate an apple.
    In terms of differentiation I was thinking of getting the children with S.E.N to do the activity as a table.
    Hope somebody can help!

2. Hi
    Im a student teacher and need some advice please. I'm going to teach year 4 a lesson on alliteration. I'm going to start of by giving each table a sheet of paper with a letter on it and get them to write down lots of describing words that begin with that letter.
    Then I will bring them on the carpet and we will discuss what alliteration means and we will analyse an alliteration poem - Peter Plunketts's Trumpet.
    It's the main actvity which I am struggling on. I don't know which activity is better to use or if they are in fact any good.
    I was thinking of getting the children to write a poem using alliteration based on the letter of their first name, so simmilar to the Peter Plunkett poem. I will model this to them so that they understand. Should I tell the children to make sure they include an adjective and verb in each line e.g. Sleepy Sam slept all day or should I not do this? Should I get them to write 1 verse or 4 verses?
    Or should I give each child a letter and get them to think of an animal that begins with that letter and write a poem using alliteration of that letter e.g. for A - The amazing ant ate an apple.
    In terms of differentiation I was thinking of getting the children with S.E.N to do the activity as a table.
    Hope somebody can help!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Your ideas are good. Stop panicking. I would use the
    for your HA & must write 1 verse with a challenge of writing another verse.
    Your idea of
    should also work well.