1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4 / 5 mixed age planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by RCL3, Jul 26, 2015.

1. RCL3

RCL3 New commenter

I am a very experienced teacher but I am rather flummoxed by the idea of teaching a mixed Year 4 / Year 5 class from September. The foundation subjects should be fine but I am worried about the core ones. English splits Lower from Upper KS2 - clearly, my class will be across this divide. For Maths and Science the POS are arranged in Year groups and are different - Science particularly so. I don't think a proper rolling curriculum is in place, although I know that in previous years (before I joined the school) something like that was introduced. To make it all a little trickier still I have to plan closely with the teacher for Year 5 / 6 because Year 5 are to be split between us. How can I ensure I cover the Science POS for both Years 4 and 5, and the English and Maths? Help!

2. I'm in exactly the same situation as you - totally stumped with how to cover both year 4 & 5's Science objectives. Hamilton Trust have some decent maths planning for Year 4/5 which marrys up the objectives from both year groups. I haven't found anything solid for literacy, though it looks as though a lot of the objectives marry up too. Not sure about SPAG - haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

3. I have a year 4/5 class this year as well! I'm finding it very difficult to plan!

4. whizzbangbang

whizzbangbang New commenter

Hi

This link will help you - it has 300 generic lesson activities that you simply overtype in seconds to create buzzy lessons very quickly. It is very useful and very popular!

I don't know about the Sciene per se - it does sound tricky, but these activities will certainly jive things up a little.

Many thanks and enjoy

www.tes.com/.../300-generic-activities-create-lessons-in-seconds-11059530