1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 4/5 literacy interview obs - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by L_E1984, Jul 1, 2011.

1. L_E1984

L_E1984 New commenter

Hi,
    I've managed to get myself an interview (at last!), and I have been asked to teach a 30 minute literacy lesson to a mixed ability year 4/5 class.
    I have some ideas, but I have never taught a split class before, and I'm not sure how much I will be able to achieve in 30 minutes.
    I was thinking of looking at a piece of writing or a poem and then doing some hotseating or group role play based on it, but do you think I should try and get some written work done, or shall I just stick to speaking and listening? 30 minutes is not a lot of time!
    Also, how do split classes work? (this might sound pretty dumb!) Do the different age groups have different objectives, or is it based on ability?
    If anyone has any ideas or fantastic pieces of text/poetry it would be much appreciated!
    Thanks x

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Firstly, congratulations on that interview.
    Now, as to the observed lesson. Think realisticall what it is possible to achieve within 30 mins in an unknown school with unknown children, so yes your focus could just be speaking & listening, but add an addendum to your planning, how you would continue on from this & extend to writing.
    Have a very clear Lesson Objective -Looking at poetry is far too vague for instance, what aspects, noticing or finding own examples etc.
    As to the mixed class scenario, look at some Y4 & Y5 objs, see if you could combine them into one focus, ensure you have differentiation & extend the most able and cater for the least able, regardless of chronological age.
    Best of luck. If you get the post remember to go along to the Jobseekers forum & you can have one of Theo's shiny stars.