1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 4/5 code breaking activity

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gila, May 24, 2011.

1. hi, just wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I've never taught a lesson on code breaking before and wondering how to pitch it, as I don't know the class. Should I stick to very simple codes, i.e. letters shifting 2 or 3 places?

2. hi, just wondering if somebody could give me some advice. I've never taught a lesson on code breaking before and wondering how to pitch it, as I don't know the class. Should I stick to very simple codes, i.e. letters shifting 2 or 3 places?

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

You should expect quite different abilities. Your brightest year 5 children will be able to cope with some tricky codes.
    Have a look at this resource I have uploaded. Most year 5 children, once they cottoned on to what they had to do, could cope with this:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Code-Breaking-Multiplication-Tables-Puzzle-6074118/
    I'd have a good range available from simple to tricky. You could always ask the children to devise their own codes for a partner to decode as an extension activity. I've also asked children to send messages using morse code (written, tapped out and with torches).

4. thanks Marlin, will make sure I'll cater for the more able. It's always difficult when you don't know the children and what they can do. I've already planned the extension activity you suggested, will be interesting to see how many will get to do that.