1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mona0520, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi,

I will be teaching Year 3 in September and as I will be an NQT just wanted some advice.

What resources should I be collecting?
    Any advice on behaviour, classroom management, general things?

Thanks in advance

Mona

2. Hi,

I will be teaching Year 3 in September and as I will be an NQT just wanted some advice.

What resources should I be collecting?
    Any advice on behaviour, classroom management, general things?

Thanks in advance

Mona

3. Hiya

I am just finished my NQT year in year 3 :)
    I would strongly suggest:

plenty of rewards! stickers/stars/team points - all these are part of my current school's reward system that have been in palce for years and work wonders, especially with this age group.

behaviour can be challenging in this year group (depends on the type of area the school is in) but endless calm approaches and zero tolerance from day one....seating in the classroom is also very important right from the word go. make sure it is conducive to the learning environment you feel comfortable in...and be sure it is user friendly :)

generally i adore my class and we have had a wonderful year...i feel closer to them now than i did in the first 2 terms. it's all a learning process not only for them but for you too and it's a wonderful age group to do your nqt year in! xx

4. I'm coming to the end of my NQT year and I've been in Year 4. I found that the school had most of the main things I needed but there are a few things I would suggest gathering before you start.
    Books are the main resource. Depending on how much you have to spend I'd say find out about your topics and get some books together to have in class on those. Also books for the children to read or for you to read to them (Roald Dahl, Michael Morpurgo etc)
    Stickers are definitely needed, stock up and give them out all over the place at the start, the kids love them! You can get them for a good price in Wilkinson's, Tesco etc.
    Prizes are good too, I just stock up on cheap pencils, rubbers etc.
    Tubs/boxes to put things in - there are never enough in class!
    And other than that have a look online for free display stuff, anything to make your bare walls (until you have some work to put up) look a little brighter.
    Other than that you wont know until you get started.
    Good luck with your post!

5. Just be informed I'll have Year 4 for my NQT year so some of this advidce has been really handy!