1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mona0520, May 23, 2011.

1. Hi,

I will be teaching Year 3 in September and as I will be an NQT just wanted some advice.

What resources should I be collecting?
    Any advice on behaviour, classroom management, general things?

Thanks in advance

Mona

2. lizzii_2008

lizzii_2008 New commenter

Hi..
    I'm an NQT just searching for a position but I had my final placement in Year 3 and I loved it!
    In terms of behaviour I think most Year 3 classes are still very keen on rewards and mine pretty much loved receiving house points, and collecting stickers in their organisers which if they collected enough they would visit the headteacher for a certificate.
    So lots of stickers, certificates and maybe letters to parents etc.
    My class loved having roles and jobs within the classroom so you could begin to organise those kind of things including light monitors, cloak room, putting out recycling, washing up, handing out books etc.
    Also, I found that with Year 3 things like counting down from 5 were a fine way to have them ready, as well as the whole "thank you ____" and "well done ____" and that gets the others ready too.
    As for disciple, losing rewards and treats was the most succesful for me!
    If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

3. Thanks! Thats great, so much to do!

4. I'm a TA in Year 3 and what I noticed at the beginning of the year is that it was a bit stressy for some of them getting used to being in the Juniors. In our school KS2 have different playtimes to KS1 so it took them a while to settle into the new routine and getting used to having morning break and lunch later then when they were in year 2. Lots of 'I'm hungry' and 'When is it lunchtime?' so maybe make a timetable for them (will also help with learning the time!) Also we have no afternoon play for KS2 so if this is the same in your school then be aware as they would get very rowdy in the afternoons. Just a heads up for that! Also, they will have to get used to being in the playground with the older kids - they seem very small in September but soon grow into the playground.

5. Me too me too me too.... except I am just completing my NQT year.
    Year 3's are still very enthusiastic about learning, but you need to underpin beh mangagement as they can begin to grow attitude problems (especially towards the end of the Spring and Summer term).

My class love rwards. I have currently set a writing challenge and if the children achive their challenge 3 times or more they get a gold star (they are very hard to get) For every 5 stars they get, they get a prize from the gold treasure box.
    My class love dance routines so we do a wake and shake everyday!!!

Also, they are loving and still are 7 year olds. Many tteachers forget this so be nice... appreciate the fact that thye think you are the best teacher in the world.

Good Luck!