1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 - where to begin?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by warmandfuzzy, Jun 14, 2012.

1. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

8 years ago, I was teaching Year 6 and 1 day a week in Year 4, then I did Reception and a bit of Year 1 for 8 years, now I'm doing Year 3 from September. I'm getting a little scared, and so was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me...for everything from structure of the day, good books to purchase, great resources, setup of groups, target-setting, ways to involve parents, how to start in September (ie activities), how to use TA, books to read with them, etc.
    Obviously, I do have some ideas of what to do, but was after any successes you might have had in the past.
    Mega-thankful!! :)

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Do you work in a bubble in your school? How come you don't know the year 3 group already. After all that experience I'm surprised to hear such a question -'where do I start with year 3?'.

3. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

What a helpful response!? Thank you so much.

I have been working in my school for a long time, and have lots of experience, but I've been put into Year 3 as a bit of fresh blood, and I was simply asking what's worked for Year 3 teachers all over the country.

The transition will be thorough, but I don't want to be identical to the current teacher, and seeing as my school is pretty isolated geographically, I don't get to be part of a school network - I was simply asking for those things Year 3 teachers do, that I could maybe put into place in Year 3 in my school.I thought that's what this forum was for.

Thank you Teacher1974 for your response, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. More constructive responses appreciated!

4. I'm starting my 3rd year in Y3 in September, and one thing I think is really important in Y3 is becoming more independent - they're in the Juniors now, so they're not going to, for example, get letters put into their bookbags for them or be constantly reminded to put reading books in the box to be changed. Obviously at first you need to be very pedantic about routines and reminders etc, but now at the end of the year, my lot can almost run the classroom themselves! Re. seating and groups, I have 5 tables of 6, and tend to have one or two 'focus' tables of those who are struggling to make progress (one table is 'mine', the other is my TA's), and put the rest fairly mixed ability. I'm also mad keen on labelling their maths and literacy books with their abiliy groups (full stops, commas etc and circles, triangles, squares etc) so they know what group they're in and don't constantly ask me! Any further questions, ask away!

5. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>I have just begun in a mixed Yr3/4 class and
    I have done most of what you have mentioned above, glad that as an NQT I am
    going in the right direction. I have a pet hate for disorganisation and am
    slowing training my children to have organisation and independence.
    I love this age group and wish you luck next year!

6. I love year 3, you are going to have a wonderful year. I found that the first half term was all about reminding them of the fact they are in jr.'s and not infants for me. My class have a thing for Dr Who so often base certain literacy/science topics around this such as script writing and description (see Smith & Jones episode) anything visual really. If your school have reading records, I made a big deal out of reading every night & creating a little review once a book was finished, the best review of the week got a prize & just helps them transition better.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I'd begin with handwriting. From day 1, home in on who can actually write their name legibly, with a Capital Letter. If they can't, get them practising, every day. Same for the ones who have poor letter formation, if you let them carry on with it, there's no hope for them. It may be boring and seem like overkill, but you have to make a Big Fuss about the way you want work presented. Title, date - at first you may as well be speaking in Portuguese, but after 3 weeks, it starts to sink in....

8. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

A bit harsh there Gretta, we're here to help, enough criticism goes on at school.
    I have taught from Y1 to Y6. I am currently in Y5 but would still have a few sleepless nights if told that I was going into Y1 in Sept.
    Anyway, Y3 are lovely! They're a bit overawed at first about being in juniors. Has your school set up any transition activities getting to know you? In the last half term during golden time, they would come in groups in to Y3 to help them to get to know the room and teacher. We would also bring them over for a few playtimes.
    Year 2 are used to working hard for SATs but its still a big change to their day and they found it very long- especially the afternoon because juniors don't have a break. For the first few weeks, we give them an afternoon break and then phase it out. We also have a brief meeting with Y2 parents because they are just as anxiuos as the kids. We outline routines and explain that we are encouraging greater independance- teachers won't be putting work in bags, the chn will etc. At my school, KS1 chn are handed directly to parents at hometime but not in KS 2. For the first week we line the chn up in the playground and call parents to us. Its helps to pick out faces and reassures all.
    Let the chn know what your first topic will be and give a small research task for the hols. Above all, have high expectations. They leave Y2 having worked hard and capable of lots
    I know that a lot of this is about transition and its not all possible in your current situation but its important.

Good luck and enjoy the year.[​IMG]

9. Year 3 are lovely! I currently teach year 3 and am lucky that I will have some of the same children next year when I go up to year 4. I completely agree with some of the other comments about making sure the children are independant, my class have really benefitted from this and have a much more mature outlook than some of the older children at my school. I usually start off with basic skills in Reading, Writing and Numeracy to give myself a baseline assessment. I talk about presentation with the children and have hammered this into them all year and the results in their work are amazing. Set up a reading corner in your class based around a book that you will read with your class. I have done the BFG with a cave of dreams in bottles, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe where I used fake snow and parts of Christmas trees and we're now on Stig of The Dump with wall paintings and fake animal furs for them to sit on. The amount of writing you can get out of this at the start of a term is a great way to get to know your class. I've also used the SEAL unit of 'New Beginnings' at the start of the year with lots of team building activities as the classes had been mixed from the previous year and didn't know each other very well. We did all the usual things such as making a class charter/rule book, a letter to parents about their first week at school and what they had learnt, targets for the year etc. it all helped myself and the children feel more comfortable and at ease with one another. Hope some of that helps :)