1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Weather Topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Blucat, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Hi,

I've gone back to find out we are doing topic work and I have to cover weather. I am an NQT and never planned for topic work before. I was thinking of setting up a weather corner to include a mini tornado but that's all I can think of (I have been planning since 9am Saturday morning til 7pm and just got no more ideas left!!) I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the topic of weather and how to link everything together.

2. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Hi,

I've gone back to find out we are doing topic work and I have to cover weather. I am an NQT and never planned for topic work before. I was thinking of setting up a weather corner to include a mini tornado but that's all I can think of (I have been planning since 9am Saturday morning til 7pm and just got no more ideas left!!) I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on the topic of weather and how to link everything together.

3. Hummm, the only thing I can think of at the moment is obviously carry out a weather chart for a week recording rainfall, look at the different instruments used to measure rainfall, wind direction, wind strength etc. and possibly make one of these instruments. Also speaking and listening - present a weather report (could possibly record their performance?) to the class, do a study of the weather in a chosen country, compare the different weather patterns worldwide, temperate, polar, arid conditions etc.

Not quite sure if this is of any help at all!!!! I have not long woken up and not quite thinking right!

4. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Thanks, there's some great ideas, will certainly try them.

5. I taught weather last year with my Year 3s but it was part of Geography so not completely topic based but some of the ideas might be useful.

• The children measured the weather every morning and recorded this on charts. At the end of every week we used this data to create charts and tables in Maths. If you don't have all the equipment some can be made - for example equipment to measure rain fall is easily made with bottles and marking the side of it.

• In ICT we looked at weather across the world. The BBC website is great for that.

• As suggested in a previous post, in English you can do weather forecasts.

• In art you can look at a collection of paintings which reflect different weathers and get the children to copy them or create their own versions.

• I linked it in English with performing poems about weather and then writing poems about weather. There are quite a few websites with weather poems.

• You could investigate different activities that depend on different weather conditions.
    Hope some of these are useful!

6. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi Blucat, do you perhaps have a year group partner who could help?

Also, whereabouts is your school? If you are lucky enough to be by the sea you can get some great information from the local council about prevailing weather conditions. Also, if it is cross-curricular, why not include some poetry? Rain Rain Go Away, Dr Foster Went to Gloucester, etc.

Just a couple of ideas, Good luck!

7. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Thanks to MissC84 & Andrew Jeffrey you have given me some good ideas. I do live next to the coast and the weather in the North at the moment will be a good starting point. Thanks again.

8. Andrew Jeffrey

Oh no - I hope you haven't been too badly affected by the floods! We saw a guy on TV last night who missed his daughter's wedding reception because his house was so badly flooded.

9. I have also done this topic in the past and we did a lot of research on weather and presented a weather forecast using a video camera. The children drew a big outline of the UK and labelled big cities on there. They looked at symbols related to the weather and drew them on card so they could use them for their forecast. We watched examples of weather programmes on the internet using Sky and Newsround and picked out key vocab used. The children then went away and on a particular day they read the weather. We had presenters, cameramen, script writers. They loved it and then we watched them back.

We even presented outside to make it more effective.

10. Andrew Jeffrey

I love your idea of presenting their own weather programme, Stokieadam!

Blucat, I have sent you a message with a couple of weblinks. Or, to be more accurate, I THINK I have sent you a message with a couple of weblinks...

11. Blucat

Blucat New commenter

Thanks Andrew, got your email and thanks to Stokieadam that's a fab idea. Going to try and combine all of the ideas if possible!!

12. Hi! I was wondering whether or not you had planned a scheme of work, or had any resources from you weather topic that you would be willing to share. Also were there any thing you wish you had done or that maybe that you wished you hadn't done?

Many thanks

haalak

13. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Even better, rather than just another 'use the Internet for research' objective, why not create a small database of weather conditions in different cities around the world, all at the same time using the BBC weather site for the info?

14. I'm doing this at the mo, there is a QCA scheme of work Unit 7 Geography, also there is a website called leananywhere.com which has powerpoint presentation you can use to introduce this topic - covers climates, weather and weather instruments.

I like some of the ideas suggested here, we are also doing a Dance to this too - with percussion instruments this week and next week have been downloading lots of 'weather music' me and my classroom assistant had a laugh trying to think of music with reference to weather - from Let it Snow, AC/DC - Thunder, Madonnas - Rain , Buddy Holly Raining in my Heart, Annie - The sun will come out, The Weather Girls - its Raining men, The Beatles - Here comes the sun - funnily enough lot more songs todo with Rain. We are making weather instruments in D&T too - when they children are designing we have the weather music on - on Walking on Sunshine, Rain drops keep falling on my head, Hurricane by the Scopians, Wind beneath my wings, Singing inthe Rain, Its Raining again, Purple Rain, Umberella, [​IMG]

15. oops that should be www.learnanywhere.com