1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 The Iron man

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Jeangenie, Oct 27, 2011.

1. I guess only some of your class would access I.M text in guided reading unless you simplify part of the story, but it is a useful text to show ch (and parents!) how important COMPREHENSION is. I would use this as a reading target. X curricular work could include -Science magnets and springs, materials - use magnets to find metal. Investigate how to separate paper clips dried peas rice... ch to plan and carry out. Test different springs for springiness - to help I.M. jump into space; will the bigger spring give the biggest bounce? (Use a plasticine I.M. or a Lego man to test.) DT pneumatics, use syringes/balloons to make iron man's mouth open (shoe box or boxes from TTS) also simple circuits for eyes. Design and make iron men using these concepts. Descriptives for iron man and space bat angel. Read book to arrival of space bat angel - chn write own ending then compare with original ending. Design own space monster; criteria what does it look like? Eat? Who are its friends? How does it move? Where does it live? etc... Iron man poems - calligrams in shape of I.M. or S.B.A. PSHE - good v bad, making friends with enemies. Use the film for visual literacy - it's a bit american but will focus the chn. Do a cartoon strip story. Use the digiblue camera to make simple animations of plasticine iron men, or use 2simple to make computer art animations. It's a brilliant topic especially for boys - encourage girls to become involved through creative work. Good luck!!

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Geography! They can listen to you read a shortened version and have to then draw a map from it. I've got a lesson for that somewhere if you want it?

3. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Hi you could base a topic around it called megastructures - visit places around the world etc