1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Teeth and Eating- food groups

Discussion in 'Primary' started by CDuff, Mar 22, 2011.

1. I'm teaching my class about food groups, but I can't find for definate what I should teach my year 3s.
    Is it : carbohydrate, protein, fat and vitamins/minerals
    Or: Carbohydrates, proteins, fats, milk and dairy, vitamins/minerals

Or something else entirely...?
    I've searched the web, checked QCA/NC, asked other teachers at school, and still don't know the answer!
    Thanks!

2. The programmes of study only require you to teach
    <ol>[*]that humans and other animals need food and water to stay alive[*]that taking exercise and eating the right types and amounts of food help humans to keep healthy </ol>It doesn't specify that you specifically teach food groups.
    It would be interesting to give the children a range of food packets/pictures of foods/real foodstuffs and ask them to sort them according to their own criteria first. This would pull out all sorts of misconceptions about foods. They might sort according to food or drinks. They could sort according to whether they think they are healthy or not healthy or whether they are foods they like or not. Some children have usually heard something about food groups and this can lead into this area.
    I tended to go for this grouping (and made something similar from labels they brought in to put on display.
    [​IMG]

3. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

We did the 5 food groups - fats and sugars, proteins, carbs, fruit and veg, (oops, typed *** then had to retype!) and dairy, Minerals and vitamins would be looked at very briefly, if at all, under fruit and veg x