1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 teachers out there, please help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Leasa, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Hi,
    Am just beginning to plan this unit (I know i've had 6 weeks to think about this before now!!) and am just wondering what people so with this unit. Do you just do a setting description as the examplified phase 3 outcome states or do you get the ch'n to write a story?
    If you do get the children to write a story, do you do this based on a story shared with them? If so do you have any suggestions as to which books work well?
    Thanks in advance

2. Is it Stories with Familiar Settings? When I did this, I did setting descriptions, using places they were familiar with - their homes, school, the park etc. You may even be able to build a short trip in to this.

As for books, anything with settings they will recognise. I've heard that there's a good book called "I'll Take You To Mrs Cole" ( [​IMG] ) although it's quite hard to come by.

3. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Some kind person has created ppts for most of the Y3 units. Type 'Mrs Cole' into TES resources and they will come up. However, you do need a copy of 'I'll take you to Mrs Cole', which is like rocking horse poop at the mo. This book is only needed for a few lessons, so find an alternatives to help you meet these particular objectives. 'Voices in the Park' could be quite useful as the main setting is a park, as well as a house. The same story is told from the perspective of 4 different characters.

4. I am doing 'The Hodgeheg' for this unit

5. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Thank you for your replies.
    Yes sorry forgot to say it was the Stories with familar settings. I actually have a copy of the book I'll take you to Mrs Coles as used this a little bit last year. Just a little undecided this year as to whether to go down the ICT route of adjusting a photo and describing the setting as i did last year or focus on getting them to write a story which includes setting descriptions.
    Missh27 - with the Hodgeheg are you getting them to write a story or just describe a setting?

6. not finalised my plans yet (pupils not back for 2weeks yet)
    thinking about them to describe a setting like the hodgeheg describes walking to the park
    think I might ge tthem to describe their journey home from school

7. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Mine are going to do lots of reading of different settings, short descriptions blah de blah. To finish, I am going to read them 'The Magic Bed' by John Burningham, which tells the story of a little boy who has a magic bed that flies and takes him to all sorts of exciting places. They are then going to write their own short story based on the magic bed, descriptively describing the setting that their bed has taken them to.

8. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

'The Snail and the Whale' could also be used, as the snail and the whale visit lots of lovely settings together. I know the unit is supposed to be familiar settings, but i don't think I could stand to read 30 stories about school, or the park, or home, so I'm going to encourage them to be a bit adventurous and really use their imagination. There will be plenty of opportunities to describe familiar settings throughout the unit.

9. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

These ideas are great. Thank you all so much.
    Missh27 - Another 2 weeks, how lucky are you! I particularly like your idea of describing a journey home esp as this would fit in nicely with my topic of our local area. I don't suppose there would be any chance of me having a look at your planning when you've finished? I wouldn't normally ask but i just don't seem to be able to get motivated this sept. I'm happy to exchange for other planning if i have it.

10. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Sorry, just one more thing that is puzzling me with this unit is with the suggested activities for phase 2. I might be a bit stupid here but I don't see the relevance between watching DVD's to consider camera shots and writing setting descriptions. Do you do this or do you do alternative activities in phase 2?
    Thank you

11. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

No, I agree about the camera shot stuff. We're comparing the book to the film, discussing the pros and cons of both, and which the chn prefer and why. I really want them to understand that their writing has to be descriptive, as when we watch a film, it's all there for us to see. When reading a book, we need the words to help create the picture in our heads.I'm hoping that phase 2 gets this across!

12. Leasa

Leasa New commenter

Thank you FenellaF. I'm glad it's not just me. [​IMG]