1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 teachers - ideas please!!!!!!!!! Optional SATs preparation.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by troubleagain, Apr 29, 2008.

1. I am getting them to write a letter to the Head to suggest having an environmental trail in our woodland area- it was the only thing I could think of!
    If you have any other bright ideas please let me know!

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

That's not a bad idea.

I was waiting to be shot by even suggesting getting the Y3s ready for SATs, so I'm glad its not just me who's preparing.

I was trying to think of a picture book where the character looks for something...... or wants something etc. so the children could write to the character with suggestions - but I can't think of a suitable book. Can you?

3. brain gone numb....but I'm still thinking...

4. I'll have a think overnight and post anything I come up with tomorrow.
    As for being shot for preperation......My class have been away for a week with a residential agin the week after sats- their heads are not at school!
    I don't want to cheat and have done nothing else to prepare them at all but they have had no long writing sessions since before easter- I just want to get them tuned in. I am in a position where I took on a class of children that really did not match their sats results (Head aware and made big staff changes)and so I know my results this year will probably match their year 2 ones! But- at least it will be a true reflection for the Year 4 teacher to build upon.
    anyway - rant over

5. I suppose there is a professional distinction we need to make between priming the children for an assessment and giving them to opportunity to produce their best work.
    Clearly text type familiarity is vital, and thus instructions and letter writing can be covered I believe within the New Framework. I think a little speaking and listening activity on persuasion might be a good idea as well.
    It is a tough call as I know of teachers who have done too much preparation and (daft as it sounds)when it came to the real thing a number of children wrote about the SAME (wrong) issue of a themed non-uniform day rather than a treasure hunt - so tread carefully!
    Will be interested in ideas though, good to share how others approach this.

6. takethatno1fan

anyone else?

7. im in year 3 and also doing the treasure map test. Can you tell me what children have to do for the short and longer writing piece just so i can prepare

8. takethatno1fan

Shorter writing task - children have to describe their favourite playtime game.

Longer - they have to write a letter replying to the Head, where they have to give their ideas for a treasure hunt.

9. How about the Great Knitting Needle hunt by Paul Gerahty (?) K :eek:}

10. aloha

aloha New commenter

Hiya
    When i was in Y3 last year we actually got them to do a treasure hunt around the playground. We linked it with something-can't remember what now-but the kids loved it and gave them an idea of what a treasure hunt actually is!!
    I hate that paper -it's pants!

HTH

11. takethatno1fan

I think it's pants too!

Why can't they just stick to a definite genre! I'd much rather they be writing a story - and the children have a greater opportunity of showing what they can do!

12. takethatno1fan

Sat here thinking about it - brain hurting (juggling Year 2 Sats also!!!!!!!)

Think I might organise a treasure hunt in the school grounds - and perhaps tie it into the book we're reading at the moment - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Children to write clues for finding a golden ticket.

I just hope all 22 of them don;t write about finding golden tickets in their Sats task!!!!!!

What do you think? Any ideas about organisation????

13. This may seem like a daft question but have you told the children that it's SATs week coming up or just carrying on as usual? I don't know whether to mention it or not incase it panics them.

14. bluesofa

bluesofa New commenter

Interesting. As a year 6 teacher, this worries me a bit. When my class take their tests in two weeks, we have no idea of context or genre. If in say Year 5, they've been prepared for a specific genre and in year 6 they haven't had that focus on one genre, is it really a fair test of progress? My performance management includes progress measures from 5 to 6.

How much specific coaching is fair at each year group?

15. I also organised a treasure hunt. Afterwards we looked at lots of different treasure maps etc. This worked really well. Got some good writing from it.

16. I thought we weren't allowed to open them until the day! Is that just Y2 and Y6 sats then? Don't suppose anyone knows what the Y4 writing tasks are on? Mine are tucked away in my cupboard or I'd have a look!

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We're not allowed to do any preparation for Y3 SATs. This is so the school can show progress through KS2. It's OK if they get pants results in Y3, as long as the Y6 teachers can show how marvellously well they have boosted them, and boy, do they boost them, drilling them every week with practice papers since March!

18. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Can I also ask who marks your optional SATs? Do you do them yourselves? When? In PPA time? Or do you get release time? Or are they sent off to NFER?

19. madmusician

madmusician New commenter

We mark our own (sob sob!)

We know its treasure hunt for year 3 as its the same papers as last year and year 4 is something about the arctic. The problem with the treasure hunt task is that our kids rarely leave the house so have no experience of things like that therefore don't know what to include. Year 4, however have done more school trips, been a little bit more 'out and about' than the year 3's. I don't like drilling sats stuff but I also don't like the grilling from SMT about why ABC&XYZ haven't met their target!

MM

20. Same here madmusician. Last year some of our kids put their hand up to ask what a Treasure Hunt was....

This year we decided to plan it into our Topic - Pirate. We had a dressing up Pirate Day and in the afternoon we had a Treasure Hunt around the classrooms.

At Easter we had a Treasure Egg Hunt where they solved some different type of clues.

Have done some letter writing while doing Traditional Stories in Literacy. No other Prep - they either know it or they don't.... poor year group this year!!!

As for playground games - it was part of the Music Express - so we've been doing those. Also for PSHE and our Healthy Schools we've been concentrating on 'entertainement' during playtimes.