1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 storywriting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Martin87, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Hi

Frustrated here! My children have been working really hard and produced some excellent work in the lead up to writing their own quest myths! Yesterday we planned our stories in different sections and they were all really good.
    Today we began writing our story openings and I am pulling my hair out! I modelled some writing first, the children added to it on whiteboards, we made a list of success criteria with examples etc yet when they started their own everything has seemed to have gone out of their heads!
    I don't want to sound like a meanie because I know how hard storywriting is and they are only children, but I KNOW they can do better!! Does anyone have any general tips for storywriting with lower KS2?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Martin87

Martin87 New commenter

Hi

Frustrated here! My children have been working really hard and produced some excellent work in the lead up to writing their own quest myths! Yesterday we planned our stories in different sections and they were all really good.
    Today we began writing our story openings and I am pulling my hair out! I modelled some writing first, the children added to it on whiteboards, we made a list of success criteria with examples etc yet when they started their own everything has seemed to have gone out of their heads!
    I don't want to sound like a meanie because I know how hard storywriting is and they are only children, but I KNOW they can do better!! Does anyone have any general tips for storywriting with lower KS2?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

3. Hi,
    This is my second year teaching year 3, and I must admit I have the same problem. The children have planned their own adventure stories with fantastic problems etc and using my own story idea as a basis to model, we have written a story which highlights all the success criteria and really focuses on each section and what should be included. However, the minute they return to their desks and start on their own, it goes completely wrong and I have 26 fairly dull adventure stories!
    Just like you, we have spent separate lessons building up our story, first by thinking of a character, and then planning our story mountain, followed by a lesson on the beginning, a lesson on the build up etc. Even this has led to some rather disjointed stories which lurch from one fantastic idea to a slightly ridiculous one!
    Like you, I know they can do better. I feel like I am taking away all their autonomy at the moment. If there are any miraculous ways to help, I would be very grateful!