1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 - Stories with a familiar setting

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vicky229, Aug 21, 2011.

1. I've only ever taught year 1 and am starting in year 3 in September. I'm really struggling picking texts for stories with a familiar setting- Our topic is Evacuees- but the books I've found all seem pretty weighty and I don't think they strictly count as stories with a familiar setting. If any one could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

2. I've only ever taught year 1 and am starting in year 3 in September. I'm really struggling picking texts for stories with a familiar setting- Our topic is Evacuees- but the books I've found all seem pretty weighty and I don't think they strictly count as stories with a familiar setting. If any one could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

3. We do school stories and look at Mr Majeika. They create their own teacher with special skills!! and love this and it produces great Big writing. There are lots of school, based stories you could use. You could approach it as the opposite situation as surely Evacuees are most definitely not in a familiar setting!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Carrie's War, Party Shoes, Keeping Henry and Harry's Battle of Britain are all suitable for you to read to the class and then plan lessons around. They may be a little tricky for all the children to read by themselves, but certainly a fair number could.

http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/childrensbooks.html for some information about the books.