1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 progress

Discussion in 'Primary' started by green ted, Jun 28, 2011.

1. What happens and what is the accepted level of progress for year 2 to year 3 children in your school. There's a debate in mine with some saying that the class should average 3 pt improvement and anything less is unsatisfactory but others saying that year 3 is a consolidation year and the difference between year 2 tests not being timed and year 3 being timed. That a class average of 3 pt score isn't realistic.

What do you believe?

2. I teach year 3, and my class are expected to make 1 1/2 to 2 sublevels of progress, same as everyone else in KS2. This seems to be realistic, as my class are making an average of 2 sublevels progress in Science, Maths and Reading, and 1 1/2 in Writing.
    QCA tests are an add-on for us, teacher assessments are the ones that count, moderated between years.

3. Year 3 progress is the same as everyone else in our school (2 sub levels). In the past there have been quite a few level 3s coming up to Year 3 and then little progress has been shown (in the results, not in reality) for those children in Year 3. This was when Year 2 levels were really fixed by the SATs tests. Now we are doing APP throughout the school and assessments are based on this and not tests this has altered the number of level 3s going up to Year 3. There are now less level 3s and more progress is being shown in Year 3. When Year 2 was basically going on the test results (this was after TA were reported in Year 2) quite a few children were shown as making 4 sub levels of progress in the one Year 2 year. It is interesting that when we did our Y2 SATs the maths marks in particular were significantly higher than our APP results. This was mainly due to the emphasis on using and applying and more open ended maths investigations on the APP, whereas the old SATs paper has hardly any of these type of questions.