1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 NQTs

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by JCA_1989, Aug 5, 2011.

1. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi Everybody,
    I just thought I would start a thread for all of the Year 3 NQTs out there! I remember reading a thread a couple of years ago dedicated to Year 3 teachers and NQTs where planning and ideas were shared so as to make the workload a bit easier.
    I haven't been able to do much as yet as I have not been into school as yet. My school follows the QCA schemes so for the first term I've got:
    Science- Teeth and Eating
    History- The Vikings
    Geography- Village Settlers
    DT- Sandwich Snacks
    PE- Gymnastics
    I haven't found out the rest yet. What has everybody else got? I have done some planning for Science and DT and am working on the rest so will be happy to share these. Has anybody done any planning yet?
    Seem to have spent most of my summer downloading and trawling through resources ready for September!
    I cannot wait to get started though! How is everybody else feeling?
    Cheers
    JCA

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Hi Everybody,
    I just thought I would start a thread for all of the Year 3 NQTs out there! I remember reading a thread a couple of years ago dedicated to Year 3 teachers and NQTs where planning and ideas were shared so as to make the workload a bit easier.
    I haven't been able to do much as yet as I have not been into school as yet. My school follows the QCA schemes so for the first term I've got:
    Science- Teeth and Eating
    History- The Vikings
    Geography- Village Settlers
    DT- Sandwich Snacks
    PE- Gymnastics
    I haven't found out the rest yet. What has everybody else got? I have done some planning for Science and DT and am working on the rest so will be happy to share these. Has anybody done any planning yet?
    Seem to have spent most of my summer downloading and trawling through resources ready for September!
    I cannot wait to get started though! How is everybody else feeling?
    Cheers
    JCA

3. Hi,
    I am also an NQT starting in Year 3 in September. I keep flitting from excited to petrified! Have tried to get my classroom ready put up a few displays and I am gathering resources but have to wait till the last week of the holidays for eng and maths planning as this is joint with other teachers. Finding it all very scary to leave it to the last mintue but not long now.

My theme is protecting our enviroment.
    English: persuasive writing
    Maths: measuring
    Science: habitats, food chains life cycles
    Geography: improving our environment
    DT: designing play spaces and gardens
    Art: observational drawings and art from materials
    RE: Islam
    PE: Games and gymnastics
    not really similar to yours but it is good to chat to someone else in the same boat as me.

4. <font size="2">Hi </font>

<font size="2">I will also be starting my NQT year in year 3!</font>

<font size="2">Very excited and nervous!</font>

<font size="2">In terms of planning my school generally follows QCA to and I made
    my own long term plan which incorporates each scheme including fitting maths
    and literacy units in where I could make some cross curricular links. I could
    share this with you if you like?</font>

<font size="2">From that I made some very basic (mostly just learning objectives)
    medium term plans for the foundation subjects and I'm going to pull these out
    into more detailed plans over the next week.</font>

<font size="2">My school requires individual lesson plans for literacy and
    numeracy each day but I also think I will start these with a weekly overview
    initially. It's going to be more time consuming but I think I will have a
    clearer picture if i do i this way. Haven&rsquo;t made a start on these though yet :/</font>

<font size="2">Sorted out some of my classroom but I'm heading in on Thursday for
    a full on laminating session.</font>

<font size="2">I spent a few days on supply last term with my new class and got
    used to the school surroundings and met the staff, so that has helped me feel
    loads better but I'm still having moments of blind panic!</font>

<font size="2">Good luck everyone!</font>

<font size="2">Billie</font>

5. Hi Everyone,
    I am not an NQT but I started in Year 3 and I can honestly say it's one of my favourite year groups as you are right in the middle of all the action! I have taught other year groups but now I am back to Y3 and absolutely love it. I have several resources and ideas on my site http://www.teachingtimesavers.co.uk Some resources are free. Or email me at teachingtimesavers.co.uk for any help.
    As I'm in Y3 again, I'm always open to new and fresh ideas so I'll mark this thread amongst my favourites.
    Good luck!
    PS Twitter is brilliant for ideas too. You can follow people with the same interests. My ID is TeachingTS or I have a Facebook page as Teachingtimesavers.

6. j3-costello i have the same science topic as you - not that i've planned yet!
    This is going to be my second term in my classroom so i'm more than willing to share once i get going!

7. Hey all,

I've got Y3/4 for my NQT :)

My school (tiny village school with four classes) doesn't really follow any schemes of work so I'm currently oscillating between being excited about having the freedom to do my own thing and terrified about having to do my own thing!

Our general topic for the first half term is 'Light and Sound' so am linking to that where I can but doing my Literacy separately (starting with science fiction which I'm pretty excited about!). It'll be a very science-heavy half term, but since I've got Tudors and Vikings after Christmas I'm not too worried about covering everything at once.

I've signed up with Hamilton Trust (https://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/) so will be using a lot of ideas from there this year!

Good luck everyone, so excited!!

8. I have year 3 class too. Unlike you I haave just been given topic of Greeks.....and all the planning is up to me! Eek!! So not so sure I have anything much to offer or even gain from this thread....but good to see what others are doing. Having such freedom is great, but also somewhat overwhelming!! Good luck all