1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Mensa child

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katieflump, Aug 14, 2020.

1. katieflump

katieflump New commenter

Hi I’m about to start my first year in year 3, this is the youngest I will have taught as my experience is mainly year 5 and 6 and a year in year 4. In my new class I have a child who was accepted into Mensa at age three. The mum has already contacted me to tell me that he struggles to concentrate as he grasps concepts so quick. I really want to do the best job I can for this boy, and am looking for any advice at all! I will not have a TA and the year group I am getting is VERY low and still are not secure in phonics!
    Any one had a child like this before ? Any ideas or resources or how to allow him to reach his potential ?

2. bonxie

bonxie Lead commenter

Talk to his previous teachers about what the child was like when he was in their class and ask them for their advice on how to approach teaching him and the rest of the class.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Look at some Mensa puzzles and quizzes and you'll see the kind of thing he will be good at.
    Not quite the same as understanding what life was like in the Stone Age and so on!

Definitely do as @bonxie says and speak to his previous teacher. He might well struggle to concentrate because he has little social skills and little comprehension. He may possibly be reading War and Peace and tell you it's all about WWII, because his decoding is incredible and his understanding poor.

Wait and see what he is really like, where his strengths and weaknesses really lie before you make plans for him.

4. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

To be slightly cynical here, prepare to be coping with his parents. No three year old puts themselves forward for Mensa and now his parents have that ‘label’...well, good luck.
    Aquila magazine is superb by the way. Not a school specific resource but I’d definitely recommend it to parents if they are interested in that sort of thing.

nomad, asnac, lunarita and 4 others like this.
  5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Have some ideas each week for what you will do to stretch him - having taught older year groups will probably help here. Try and avoid just giving him more of the same. If you have a child who grasps the whole idea of long multiplication instantly (my child got it after being shown one example, including being able to see how to extend to more digits), they do not need to wade through 20 questions, even if they do get gradually harder - they'd be better doing the last few then an alphanumeric problem (where they have a long multiplication with the letters standing for the different digits, and they have to work out what the letters are).
    I agree with the cynicism about the parents, but it's also true that very bright children (boys in particular) who are bored will lose concentration. Possibly they've had problems in the past where he's messed around and not completed the work - and possibly not got as far as the "extension question" because he couldn't be bothered with the routine ones. The parents are likely to be okay if you can show that you are providing him with challenges.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

7. katieflump

katieflump New commenter

Thank you for the ideas! I have a large stack of Aquila it’s just brilliant!
    I understand this parent has been a problem before and will ask things like how many tines will you read with him a day? o_O

Love the ideas for maths. I imagine in English he will be a night mare of “finished” after ten minutes...

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Never, he is year 3 and can read silently to himself if he wants to! :D

9. dreamweaverplusactor

dreamweaverplusactor New commenter

Especially if he is a 'Mensa child'!

10. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

You'll read with him the same number of times that you read with everyone else. He can't be disadvantaged. At the same time, there's no reason to read with him more than anyone else at all.

11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

"I understand this parent has been a problem before and will ask things like how many tines will you read with him a day?"

Perhaps you should commission him to teach his parents division by 30.