1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 maths lesson on money. Final NQT observation!!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by s0700452, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Please can someone help me. I am due to have my final observation on Thus in maths. The topic is money. I want it to an all singing and dancing lesson but I am stuck for ideas.
    I was thinking of having tables with different activities; the children can then spend a little bit of time doing each activity and then move onto the next activity.
    Maybe have one table set up as a shop and then children can work out change from different items (differentiated by the price of items and amount of money they are paying with...?)
    Then was thinking of having another table set up as a restaurant with a menu. The children have got to choose a drink, meal and pudding (so must add up the amounts).
    But now I am stuck. Does this sound a good idea or am I trying to do too much?? My head hurts.
    Thank you

2. Please can someone help me. I am due to have my final observation on Thus in maths. The topic is money. I want it to an all singing and dancing lesson but I am stuck for ideas.
    I was thinking of having tables with different activities; the children can then spend a little bit of time doing each activity and then move onto the next activity.
    Maybe have one table set up as a shop and then children can work out change from different items (differentiated by the price of items and amount of money they are paying with...?)
    Then was thinking of having another table set up as a restaurant with a menu. The children have got to choose a drink, meal and pudding (so must add up the amounts).
    But now I am stuck. Does this sound a good idea or am I trying to do too much?? My head hurts.
    Thank you

3. Why

Why is your priority not "I want the children to make good progress"

Is this how your class learn best?

Will the reading be an issue?

Have they done much money before ... is this new or consolidation ... what is the objective of the lesson ... how does it fit into the scheme of lessons

People on primary might have suggestions ... perhaps they will tell you it seems fine ... after all I am Secondary and have different ideas