1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Maths lesson observation (interview!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katykatykins, May 7, 2012.

1. I have a lesson observation on Wednesday afternoon - I've got the graveyard shift of 2pm for 45 minutes. It's in a Year 3 class with 30 pupils and the session must be based around 'time' for Maths.
    The objective I've found on the National Strategies is; Read the time on a 12–hour digital clock and to the nearest 5 minutes on an
    analogue clock; calculate time intervals and find start or end times for a given
    time interval

I don't know wether to just go for telling the time on a clock, or calculating time intervals and/or start/end times. Time has always been my weak area in planning and I'm flat out of ideas.
    The only thing I can think of is to base my lesson around Whats The Time Mr Wolf - but is that not the obvious choice, so all other candidates would do it too?
    I really want a creative/active lesson but I am stumped! I am going to call the school tomorrow, after the bank holiday to ask for some more info (abilties etc) but I need to get the balls rolling now.
    Anyone able to help?
    Kathryn :)

2. I have a lesson observation on Wednesday afternoon - I've got the graveyard shift of 2pm for 45 minutes. It's in a Year 3 class with 30 pupils and the session must be based around 'time' for Maths.
    The objective I've found on the National Strategies is; Read the time on a 12–hour digital clock and to the nearest 5 minutes on an
    analogue clock; calculate time intervals and find start or end times for a given
    time interval

I don't know wether to just go for telling the time on a clock, or calculating time intervals and/or start/end times. Time has always been my weak area in planning and I'm flat out of ideas.
    The only thing I can think of is to base my lesson around Whats The Time Mr Wolf - but is that not the obvious choice, so all other candidates would do it too?
    I really want a creative/active lesson but I am stumped! I am going to call the school tomorrow, after the bank holiday to ask for some more info (abilties etc) but I need to get the balls rolling now.
    Anyone able to help?
    Kathryn :)

3. I would defo start with some warm ups on clocks (AFL) so you can suss out whether or not they are actually up to year 3 objectives. In my experience, time can drop off the curriculum, and unless you have keen parents - more than your BA group may need quarter past/ quarter to work. Highlight you're doing this on the plan, Afl before you start will go down well.

Don't forget about the link to the 5 times table - another good warm up that will link to your objective.

4. One thing that had clicked, was to use the 5x table as a warm up - going to do some Ping Pong, nice and active!
    Then thinking of doing some kind of teacher in role story telling where the pupils need to show times said on clocks. I can differentiate how the story goes depending on the abilties shown (AFL!) but I'm not sure what to do for a task that they can do independently after the intro.