1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Maths issues...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by downinthedumps123, May 24, 2011.

1. ...hello all. I wonder if anyone can help. I'm coming towards the end of my NQT and a bit blinkin confused! I've had a pushy parent on at me all year about her child. Said child has a sibling who is G&T, this child is bright but not G&T. It's either constantly from the parent she's struggling or then not pushed enough. From lessons etc she achieves LO consistently but never gets 100% of work right in lessons so I can see it's not too easy, if that makes sense. She is pushed at home with flashcards and God knows what else. Came on a 3C and also came out as a 3C in optional SATs which was worrying - appears she can do the work but doesn't perform in an exam. Anyway, column addition appears to be the key issue. We use Abacus Evolve and we're due to cover this in D3, so not too far away. Spoke to a colleague today who was shocked I'd not covered it. When I asked about following planning at start of year I was told to follow the Abacus MT and differentiate accordingly, as I was very confused about why their objectives didn't match up at the same time with Hamilton and NNS. Now I'm in a panic. Have I totally been failing my class? Should I not be following what the school use? So confused! And now I have parent coming in this week to discuss Numeracy. Argh! Help!

2. ...hello all. I wonder if anyone can help. I'm coming towards the end of my NQT and a bit blinkin confused! I've had a pushy parent on at me all year about her child. Said child has a sibling who is G&T, this child is bright but not G&T. It's either constantly from the parent she's struggling or then not pushed enough. From lessons etc she achieves LO consistently but never gets 100% of work right in lessons so I can see it's not too easy, if that makes sense. She is pushed at home with flashcards and God knows what else. Came on a 3C and also came out as a 3C in optional SATs which was worrying - appears she can do the work but doesn't perform in an exam. Anyway, column addition appears to be the key issue. We use Abacus Evolve and we're due to cover this in D3, so not too far away. Spoke to a colleague today who was shocked I'd not covered it. When I asked about following planning at start of year I was told to follow the Abacus MT and differentiate accordingly, as I was very confused about why their objectives didn't match up at the same time with Hamilton and NNS. Now I'm in a panic. Have I totally been failing my class? Should I not be following what the school use? So confused! And now I have parent coming in this week to discuss Numeracy. Argh! Help!

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Nah, it's fine. The Year 3 Maths SATs test is a bummer, because it's the first timed test they've taken, and they all freeze in the Mental Test, so score zilch. Also the *** leave half the questions unanswered because they haven't a clue what's being asked of them, the layout is so bleeding complicated, so many will appear to be going backwards!

I have not covered column addition yet, but am about to do so, although only with the top third, the others are still figuring out what those funny signs mean....
    I have tried Abacus, but found it very confusing, also the workbook pages seem to totally throw the kids, they just don't get what they are being asked. Prefer the NNS or Hamilton, although I always have to wiggle it about a bit to avoid too many random number cards/dice being used at once.
    So, I'd tell the parent you're about to start column addition and have her in to show exactly how to set it out, so they can practise about 400 of them every night at home.

4. Thanks LL (Am a follower of your posts - I feel honoured! ;) )

Mental Maths was ok, we do one every week from a book so they're used to it. It's true - Abacus workbooks are structured in odd ways, I've ended up doing more explaining of what the questions asks than teaching recently - have gone to giving them investigation slips in their books they then answer showing working.

Parent should be happy with that - they were asking why the 3/4 class have done it already but I haven't...answer = they're brighter as a whole so colleague is teaching Y4 stuff.

Still, what do I do about Abacus? Got to follow it as school scheme but everyone else seems to be chopping and changing whenever they feel like, so no wonder I'm confused?

5. I'm in Year 3 and have just introduced column addition to my Maths set this week. I have the middle / lower ability children. The teacher who has the higher set introduced it last term. We have tha Abacus Evolve scheme. I find it best to dip in and out of it. I do not follow it in order - I think they just renamed their units to suit the Framework units without changing the order of their old units!!

6. <font size="6">I haven't done it with my Y3, maths advisor infact said not to - our local middle schools Y5+ prefer to keep children on partitioning and numberline methods!Stock answer about not doing that method yet (dinosaur daddy method as I have heard it referred to) is that before a child is introduced to that they must have a solid understanding of place value and the way it changes. Adding via partitioning does this, the column method does nothing to enforce this concept, children purely learn by method to 'carry 1's' without ever truly understanding the mathematical concepts involved. We want to create flexible mathematicians (sp? sorry it is a little late for good spelling from me) who can apply and use their maths in any situation and partitioning rather than column at this stage of learning fulfils that requirement. Possible a little long, not sure I am completely on board with all of it but it usually satisfies parents.</font>

7. eek - sorry for a gigantic font, not sure what happened there. I'll try again in an easier to read size.

8. I haven't done it with my Y3, maths advisor infact said not to - our local middle schools Y5+ prefer to keep children on partitioning and numberline methods!Stock answer about not doing that method yet (dinosaur daddy method as I have heard it referred to) is that before a child is introduced to that they must have a solid understanding of place value and the way it changes. Adding via partitioning does this, the column method does nothing to enforce this concept, children purely learn by method to 'carry 1's' without ever truly understanding the mathematical concepts involved. We want to create flexible mathematicians (sp? sorry it is a little late for good spelling from me) who can apply and use their maths in any situation and partitioning rather than column at this stage of learning fulfils that requirement. Possible a little long, not sure I am completely on board with all of it but it usually satisfies parents.