1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Low ability maths lesson??????/

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Nastyoldmrpike, Mar 4, 2012.

1. You could use the cups lesson to give a visual way of dividing which can lead on to dividing by a fraction. Is it OFSTED or in house? Do you use Cooperative learning strategies? How old are the kids, what levels are the kids?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You are a qualified teacher. You teach them everyday. You plan for them everyday. You know them. Do what you would normally do as someone who is paid what is a good salary to use your own initiative to plan for your class.
    Surely you want all your teaching to be good - not just a one off lesson? They will see what they see and then offer pointers to improve.

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Very difficult to advise if you give no clues as to preferred topic etc.

4. they are 7 years old most if them Level 1A 2C
    of course I will use my initiative just wondered if anhhone had a tried and tested lesson they wouldn't mind sharing
    thanks for ideas so far.........

5. jwraft

jwraft New commenter

What is the area of learning? It would be unwise to teach something random and one off just for an observation. The observer will be looking at learning over a period, not just the one lesson. They'll look at books and ask children about what they've been doing.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But what is a fabulous lesson for me in my classroom with my class could well be a total flop for you in your classroom with your class.

You absolutely need to think what else you are teaching that week and link this lesson sensibly to this. Observers never want to see one off showpiece lessons unless it is an interview in a different school.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I really do not want to sound rude but you are their class teacher. It is not an interview lesson nor is it a lesson to show off how good you are. It should be part of a series of lessons in which pupils build on previous learning and extend it. Not a "one off bells and whistles" lesson.
    They will look at books and discuss what the children have been learning. Don't forget that the future is unannounced observations. There is of course a whole argument about dropping in to see 20 minutes of a lesson expecting to see progress etc when teaching is not like that.
    Just look at the work you are doing with the class and the area of learning you are focussing on. Look at what they know and plan your lesson so they are involved and are given work to make progress.

8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

As others have said ... it is so important to show that the lesson is supporting the children to build on their secure knowledge and understanding.
    I would suggest making sure you focus on all aspects of the 'connective model' to ensure the children make links (language, symbols, context and mathematical images)
    Whatever you do, you will need to show how you have moved the children on.
    Carrie [​IMG]