1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Literacy unit Adventures and Mysteries

Discussion in 'Primary' started by garnetgirl, Jan 11, 2009.

1. I have been seaching the forum over the last 2 weeks and have found so many people asking the same thing-What short adventure stories should I use? This is the thing that annoys me about the Framework-they suggest activities but do the resources/texts exist to do it??? There are plenty of adventure stories but none so short children could investigate features and compare texts independently and in one lesson. Whoever comes up with any has a goldmine under them-I have on many occasions just thought I'd give up being a teacher just to write relevant texts to suit the Framework!

Excuse my rant-my frustration has taken hold.

If any one does have the Holygrail of adventure stories please let me know!![​IMG]

2. I have been seaching the forum over the last 2 weeks and have found so many people asking the same thing-What short adventure stories should I use? This is the thing that annoys me about the Framework-they suggest activities but do the resources/texts exist to do it??? There are plenty of adventure stories but none so short children could investigate features and compare texts independently and in one lesson. Whoever comes up with any has a goldmine under them-I have on many occasions just thought I'd give up being a teacher just to write relevant texts to suit the Framework!

Excuse my rant-my frustration has taken hold.

If any one does have the Holygrail of adventure stories please let me know!![​IMG]

3. We're using The wooden Horse of Troy as one of our adventure stories to link it to Creative curriculum - Ancient Greeks. Having to start thinking outside the box. I agree finding texts is tricky.

4. Hi I don't know if it will help but I found this book list on the TES whilst I was searching for ideas for my topic 'Mysteries Inc.'
    Mystery Stories
    PICTURE BOOKS

Clement, Rod. Grandpa’s Teeth. (Ej Cl)
    Grandpa’s teeth disappear from a glass of water near his bed, and Inspector Rate investigates.

Christelow, Eileen. Where’s the Big Bad Wolf? (Ej Ch)
    Detective Doggedly, a pair of cows, and a suspicious sheep all nearby each time three pigs get in trouble, but the big bad wolf is conspicuously absent. If you liked this story, look for other mysteries by this author.

Cushman, Doug. Mystery at the Club Sandwich. (Ej Cu)
    When a famous singer at the Club Sandwich loses her lucky marbles, elephant detective Nick Trunk takes the case. If you liked this story, look for other mysteries by this author.

Geisert, Arthur. Mystery. (Ej Ge)
    During a visit to the art museum, a little piglet and her grandfather investigate the disappearance of several paintings. Clues in the illustrations give readers a chance to solve the mystery along with the heroine. If you liked this story, look for other mysteries by this author.

Gosling, Gabby. The Top Secret Files of Mother Goose. (Ej Go)
    Mother Goose tracks down the thief who stole the queen's tarts with the help of several nursery rhyme characters.

Kitamura, Satoshi. Sheep in Wolves’ Clothing. (Ej Ki)
    When wolves steal their fluffy coats, three sheep turn to Detective Baa for help.

Taylor, Mark. The Case of the Purloined Compass. (Ej Ta)
    When Henry’s compass disappears, dog detective Angus follows clues which lead him into trouble.

Teague, Mark. Detective LaRue: Letters from the Investigation. (Ej Te)
    While on vacation, Mrs. LaRue receives letters from her dog Ike who is falsely accused of harming the neighbor's cats. If you liked this story, look for other stories with LaRue.

Walsh, Ellen Stoll. Dot & Jabber and the Big Bug Mystery. (Ej Wa)
    Mouse detectives Dot and Jabber solve the mystery of the disappearing insects. If you liked this story, look for other mysteries with Dot and Jabber.

Yolen, Jane. Piggins. (Ej Yo)
    Piggins the butler quickly discovers the thief when Mrs. Reynard’s beautiful diamond necklace is stolen. If you liked this story, look for other Piggins mysteries by this author.

EARLY READERS

Adler, David. Young Cam Jansen and the Library Mystery. (J-ER Ad)
    Cam uses her photographic memory to find a shopping list that her dad lost at the library. If you liked this story, look for other Young Cam Jansen mysteries.

Allen, Laura Jean. Rollo and Tweedy and the Ghost at Dougal Castle. (J-ER Al)
    Lord Dougal asks the detective Tweedy and his assistant Rollo to come to Scotland to solve the mystery of the ghost haunting Dougal Castle.

Berenstain, Stan. The Berenstain Bears and the Missing Dinosaur Bone. (J-ER Be)
    The Bear Detectives search for a dinosaur bone missing from the Bear Museum. If you liked this story, look for other Bear Detectives mysteries.

Bonsall, Crosby. The Case of the Double Cross. (J-ER Bo)
    Marigold concocts a mystery that finally gets her and her friends into the boys’ private eye club. If you liked this story, look for others in this series and other mysteries by this author.

Cushman, Doug. Inspector Hopper. (J-ER Cu)
    Inspector Hopper and his perpetually hungry assistant McBugg solve three mysteries for their insect friends.

Platt, Kin. Big Max. (J-ER Pl)
    Someone has stolen the king’s elephant. Can the world’s most improbable detective Big Max solve the mystery?

Rylant, Cynthia. The High Rise Private Eyes: The Case of the Missing Monkey (J-ER Ry)
    A glass monkey is missing from The Grill Next Door. Detectives Bunny and Jack are on the case. If you liked this story, look for other High Rise Private Eyes mysteries.

Sharmat, Marjorie. Nate the Great and the Boring Beach Bag. (J-ER Sh)
    Nate the Great and his trusty dog Sludge finds mystery at the beach when Oliver’s beach bag vanishes. If you liked this story, look for other Nate the Great mysteries.

TRANSITIONAL READERS

Adler, David. Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds. (J First Chapter Books Ad)
    A fifth-grader with a photographic memory and her friend Eric help solve the mystery of the stolen diamonds. If you liked this story, look for other Cam Jansen mysteries by this author.

Adler, David. Lucky Stars. (J First Chapter Books Ad)
    Herman "Houdini" Foster and his cousin Janet discover that what seems to be a case of thwarted coat theft is something much more serious. If you liked this story, look for other Houdini Club Magic Mysteries by this author.

Conford, Ellen. A Case for Jenny Archer. (J First Chapter Books Co)
    After reading three mysteries in a row, Jenny becomes convinced that the neighbors across the street are up to no good and decides to investigate. If you liked this story, look for other Jenny Archer stories by this author.

Hayes, Geoffrey. The Curse of the Cobweb Queen. (J First Chapter Books Ha)
    Cousin Olivia proves to be very helpful when Otto and Uncle Tooth, a famous detective, attempt to retrieve a stolen black pearl from a wicked witch.

Labatt, Mary. Spying on Dracula. (J First Chapter Books La)
    A mystery-loving sheepdog named Sam tries to convince her next door neighbor that Dracula’s living in town. If you liked this story, look for other Sam: Dog Detective mysteries by this author.

Landon, Lucinda. Meg Mackintosh and the Mystery in the Locked Library. (J First Chapter Books La)
    Meg investigates the theft of a rare book from a locked library. The reader is challenged to solve the mystery before Meg, using clues in both text and illustrations. If you liked this story, look for other Solve-t-Yourself Mysteries by this author.

Levy, Elizabeth. A Mammoth Mix-Up. (J First Chapter Books Le)
    Brian and his younger sister Penny find mystery at the museum where they are working on a woolly mammoth display for a science fair. If you liked this story, look for other Brain and Pea Brain Mysteries by this author.

Levy, Elizabeth. Something Queer is Going On. (J First Chapter Books Le)
    The kidnapping of Fletcher, a Bassett hound, leads best friends Jill and Gwen on a frantic search that ends up in front of a TV camera. Comical illustrations are full of clues that will keep the reader solving along with the girl detectives. If you like this series, check out a related series told from the perspective of Fletcher, the Bassett hound, Fletcher Mysteries.

Nixon, Joan Lowery. Gus & Gertie and the Missing Pearl. (J First Chapter Books Ni)
    Arriving for a vacation on Holiday Island, penguins Gus and Gertie stumble into a hotel full of Bad Guys where a valuable deep-sea pearl is stolen from them.

You may also like to check out:
    http://www.writeaway.org.uk/component/option,com_mtree/task,advsearch2/search_id,2224/Itemid,99999999/

5. I used Hamilton plans for this unit last year. The suggested texts/films are:
    Gorilla by Anthony Browne, Walker Books, ISBN 0744594391/ 978-1406313277
    The Tunnel by Anthony Browne, Walker Books, ISBN 0744552397/ 978-1406313291
    Charlie and the Chocolate factory by Roald Dahl, Puffin, ISBN 0141311304/ 978-0141322711
    The Wrong Trousers (FILM)

I also used the short stories from a guided reading set Rigby Navigator "Shock Wave": http://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/Primary/Literacy/AllLiteracyresources/RigbyNavigator/ISBN/Year3P4NavigatorMax/NavigatorMaxYr3P4ShockWave.aspx

6. There are some good interactive adventure stories on Woodlands website, possibly more suitable for a class session. Also I have looked at the Flat Stanley books and looked at excerpts from those as well as reading one as a class.

7. We used the Walker Book of Adventure Stories. It has several short stories in one book although I think it is out of print now. You might still be able to find it at your local library.