1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 levels help required

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by swindonTA, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Hello,

I have only been a TA for 18 months and so am fairly new to the PPA. The first year supporting I had nothing to do with it and it has only been in my current role, with my current class teacher who has involved me, I have come to begin to understand it. My own daughter who is just finishing Yr 3 scored a level 3 in her Yr2 SATs. But has only progressed to a 3B, infact she had progressed to this by November. I was of course delighted and proud back then. I know a 3b is a good level to be at at the end of year 3 - it is more the lack of progression since November that worries me.

I spoke to her class teacher today who insists that to only go up one sub level in maths over year 3 was perfectly normal. Can anyone please confirm this?

Many thanks.

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

The "expectation" was that there should be one level of progress per year.

But management couldn't deal with that - 1 per year must mean 1/3rd of a level per term.

So, knowing nothing of what levels actually mean, the concept of sub levels was invented.

Suddenly teachers were expected to track levels to a level of precision that is totally unrealistic - so sub levels are "just made up". No, really, they are. (Or were.)

The difference between a 3A and a 3C cam be as little as 5 marks in an end of term test - so the margins of error are huge. Just as you'd expect with something just made up to placate management.

Level 3 for year 2 is excellent (keep working on her tables and if you know how to do l8ng multiplication yourself, teach her to do it..)

And you may have noticed I've been using the past tense above. That's because "levels" have just been removed from the new national curriculum. This government is making a lot of mistakes, but it is removing some of the worst "just made up" nonsense that went before.