1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tania_oliveira, Jun 30, 2015.

1. tania_oliveira

tania_oliveira New commenter

Good afternoon,

I NEED a BIG HELP please!
    I just had a phone call for a interview this thursday, and I'm panicking!!!
    I have to prepare an "active numeracy task for a group of up to 12 children (year 3) of mixed ability. We would like you to allow children to develop their oracy skills in your chosen lesson. The task should not last for more than 10 minutes and please have your lesson plan with you. An interactive whiteboard (using Smart Notebook software) and an attached laptop will be available to you."
    Could you PLEASE!! help me???
    Thank you
    P.S I really want this job!!!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo and well done!

Yes, but not the help that I think you are asking for . . .

We can't, we won't, tell you what to do for your interview lesson. This is what you have to decide for yourself, for all sorts of reasons that you already know, really! So stop panicking and starting thinking.

So start by thinking of a lesson that went really well. What was there about it that made it successful in ensuring learning and progress? How can you take those points and use them in another lesson? In just 10 minutes, so it will have to be tight, no time wasting. Make sure that your lesson plan has some differentiation (even if you don't get to use it) and some suggestions for follow up work.

Here are some general advice articles on interviews:

I suggest that you read these in this order. I have included some which probably aren't relevant to you, for the benefit of other posters/readers.

Help, I've got an interview! *** The basic advice ***

Teaching an observed lesson at interview

Using mind-mapping for interviews *** The best-loved advice ***

Daft Interview Questions

What shall I wear to the interview?

How do you decide who to appoint?

What excuse can I give for going to interview?

Child Protection: the questions, NOT the answers

A typical Child Protection Policy

Two interviews and a dilemma

Interview feedback - they blamed my experience, but they knew that when they shortlisted me! * * * NEW * *

SLT interviews - possible questions

In-tray exercises. Deputy Head

Assistant Head interviews

General interview questions

Questions to ask at the end of your interview * * * NEW * * *

These should give you the preparation tips to ensure that you really show off your skills in the interview.

If a blog is helpful, don't forget to Red-Heart it by clicking on the black heart at the end. And click on the Share icon to show it to your friends too.

[​IMG]

Well done again on getting your interview. We have a tradition here on this Forum that when you are successful, you start a brand new thread titled Dear Theo- I Got that job! We are looking forward to yours!

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Speaking for the headteacher, s/he really wants a teacher who can plan the lesson on their own.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Here's my advice:

1) Don't post using your real name. Apologies if you haven't.

2) As a starting point familiarise yourself with the PoS for the new national curriculum for Mathematics for Year 3/4 and choose an objective from it.

5. mrsbaggins

mrsbaggins New commenter

Are they current year 3's or will be next term? I would make my lesson differentiation obvious - you should plan for year 2, 3 and 4 abilities - that's maybe 5 levels of differnentiation but if you really want the job, that's what you will do. It sounds like they are looking for key questions so maybe look at Bloom and rehearse your timings. Good luck, I have had year 3 this year and thoroughly enjoyed it.