1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 interview...strictly theme?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by powerpuff83, Oct 5, 2015.

1. powerpuff83

powerpuff83 New commenter

i have an interview soon for a year 3 position, teaching a maths lesson of my own choice.
    Firstly, anything hot right now for year 3 maths?
    And, would some kind of strictly come dancing theme go down well? I know several kids this age who would be intersted in the show, so wondering if this could be a fun idea to run with?
    Basicslly, do year 3 pupils watch strictly?
    Thank you!

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

My advice is to keep it fairly simple. If you try something flamboyant and new you are taking a big risk. Look at the new NC for KS2 maths and build your lesson around an objective. I would plan a lesson that is based on small group investigation, using manipulatives (cubes, 3D shapes, unifix, coins etc).

Some Year 3 children might watch Strictly if they are keen dancers, but I would have said it's more of an older persons choice of programme. X factor might be more their style.

3. powerpuff83

Thats great advice, thank you.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Agree completely with snowy...keep it simple and look up the new curriculum. How about something involving the minions?

snowyhead likes this.
  5. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I agree. Interview lessons are NOT the time to go leftfield. Sadly, they are more likely to employ someone with a boring bog standard 'solid' lesson than something a little original.

snowyhead likes this.
  6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Definitely be original - as in don't download a lesson from a teaching resources website, but as STG says, you don't need to showboat to get the job. I would imagine that most head teachers are looking for someone who gets on with the children (a safe pair of hands, if you like) and someone who can plan and teach consistently well.

Good luck.

7. stmha

stmha Established commenter

Think about the quality of the learning rather than the quality of the teaching. Lots of interviewees feel under pressure to do an all singing all dancing lesson and this can backfire. Create a picture of what you want the children to be able to do by lessons end and then break it up into smaller bitesize chunks.

These work for me

• Build in 'thinking time'
    • Reciprocal work - get A to teach B
    • Avoid questioning single student engage everyone with your questioning
    • encourage student decision making

good luck

8. powerpuff83

Thank you everyone.
    Am going for a half-traditional, half-fun lesson, with the help of some cheeky minions on the board! good advice everyone.