1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 interview obs lesson - 20 min on maths or literacy!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by svca92, Sep 25, 2015.

1. svca92

svca92 New commenter

Hi everyone!

First time posting on here, but I'm a little stuck for ideas!

It's my very first interview the week after next and I've been given the choice to do a 20 minutes lesson on either literacy or maths.

I've taught year 2, 5 & 6 whilst completing my school's direct placements, so I'm a little unsure as to what to plan/expect of year 3 children. I'm yet to phone the school and ask if they can disclose ability groups etc to me, so will have to do that on Monday.

Can anyone kindly throw some ideas at me! Literally throw - I'm incredibly nervous!

Thanking you kindly!

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You choose the subject in which you feel strongest. Then you think of the best lessons you did - probably with Y2 - and think about what things about those lessons worked really well.

For example, if you've had a lot of success teaching writing instructions, then adapt the concepts you used with Y2 and make them central to this 20 mins with Y3.

It's our policy on TES not to give specific ideas for interview lessons - this is because the head of this school wants to see you using the ideas you've found work for you, not someone else's which might not turn out well for you. It's also because heads do use TES and we've had more than one in the past see a request like yours, see specific ideas posted and then have more than one candudate turn up to the interview and use the self same ideas.

Have courage and faith in yourself!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

What we are looking for at our school (and this might not the same for all schools) is someone who doesn't limit the children, asks for guidance from the school about the current achievement of the children they are to teach and is open to change. You don't know the children and therefore many of the aspects of teaching you would normally know and use are not available to you. We would be looking for something that shows your style, relationships and subject knowledge. Good luck

4. NicoleK

NicoleK New commenter

If you are confident in Maths, I would do Maths, as it's easier to to keep it active and practical, and to get something achieved in such a short time.
    If you do choose English, try not to get bogged down in making them write because getting it all organised and getting them started when you don't know them, could waste a lot of your time. Some whiteboard writing could work though. Think speaking and listening as another option.

Whatever you do, make sure your personality comes through and that your questioning and response to the children is high quality.

Good luck!