1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Interview Lesson - Shapes, Angles and Turns

Discussion in 'Primary' started by adamm_ro, May 5, 2019.

1. adamm_ro

adamm_ro New commenter

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my PGCE and have an interview on Wednesday teaching Maths. The school have said they want me to teach "shapes, angles, and turns". I just am a bit stumped at how I'm going to fit all of this in, into a 30 minute lesson.

Does anyone have any ideas? There is also one child who has an EHCP.

Thank you so much :)

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

What year group?
    You'll need to make it practical and quite open.

3. adamm_ro

adamm_ro New commenter

It’s for Year 3 ☺️

4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

You can’t do all of it in 30 minutes. Choose a topic within the strand and teach that. Problem solving with shapes always goes down well. You need to make it practical and aim to develop their vocabulary.

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Sorry, I obviously can't read! I've seen that you can teach right angles using lollipop sticks and cubes.. The right angle is where the two corners meet so chn could find their own right angles. I've taught this and it was practical and fun and I got the class thinking about vertical, horizontal to really teach the vocab plus the different shapes so regular, irregular. The LO was to identify right angles.

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Shape detectives? Some key vocab work - discussing what an angle is (stretching beyond "it's a corner" and into the idea of it being a measure of a turn and the different types).

Identifying the angles in shapes and what different types of angles they are. Give it some sort of context to make it more interesting and relevant to them. It could possibly create clues, e.g. If there are more obtuse angles than acute angles, it means whatever.

Be ready to stretch higher attainers and early finishers with something to deepen their learning. If any are struggling, be ready to adapt the task for them, e.g. Let's look for the right angles. It's also probably making and taking some right angle testers with you (I find post it notes with a square in one corner are great).

Couple of other tips for a good interview obs lesson. Introduce yourself at the start and let them know how you'll be getting their attention and what you expect their response to be. It's also worth making a note on a piece of paper for any extra adults you may have about how you want them to support children, and key lines of questioning.

Good luck!

7. vannie

vannie Star commenter

This seems like a nice session. I don't agree that two corners can meet though!