1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 interview lesson - help?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sophiejade07x, Dec 13, 2019.

1. sophiejade07x

sophiejade07x New commenter

Hi all, this is my first post :)
    I'm a trained secondary English teacher and I've just completed my NQT. I've been considering moving into primary for a while now, and I've just found out that a Primary job I applied for (and I really want) has invited me to interview on Monday (3 days)!
    I'm obviously ecstatic, but I'm really nervous as I've never taught LKS2 before. On top of that, I'm really struggling to think of what to do for my interview lesson.
    My brief is: deliver a 30 minute whole class reading session to our year 3 children, followed by a 30-minute written task.
    Ideally I'd like to read a nice fiction picture book that will keep them engaged and generate discussion points. In terms of the writing, I'd like to do something creative such as a newspaper report/interview.
    I've been researching appropriate books but they all seem too long/not long enough. I need to be reading for at least 20 minutes with ten minutes discussion/questions in between.
    Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hmm. Not sure how you'll be able to demonstrate student interaction and activity in your plans for that timeframe. Trying to do reading and a news report / interview would be too much.

Which particular objective did you have in mind to deliver and demonstrate progress?

What differentiation have you planned .(Remember being Primary and mixed ability you could have anything from Working towards level 1 to a couple of possible level 3s.)

(I don't suggest you put answers on here, as it is a public forum, but some questions to consider.)

3. DFC

DFC New commenter

Start with the objectives for reading and writing at Y3 and tailor your activity to some of them. Why not pick a Christmas book. Maybe look at expanded noun phrases / description and create an acrostic poem.
    Eg. Silvery, sparkling icicles hanging down from buildings,
    Turkey, roast dinners eaten all around the world on December 25th,
    A special, newborn baby Sent as a gift by God,
    Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer delivering presents with Santa Claus.

4. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

For reading, inference based on a picture always works. Talk about inference and what it means and get children discussing the picture then give them a text to find the evidence.

You could do expanded noun phrases based on a Christmassy picture. Ask them what a noun is, what an adjective is then go over expanded noun phrases, maybe give them a dull/simple expanded noun phrase like cold, clear icicle. Partner talk- how can we make that expanded noun phrase better?
    Make sure you share the sc with the children- know what an adjective is, know what a noun is, use senses to describe etc.
    Then get them to work in pairs to use their senses to describe the image.

Provide word mats for LA children. Model like crazy. Get the HA to fiddle around with the order of the sentences, can they add prepositions, adverbs, powerful verbs, similes etc. Provide ha with a different word mat with prepositions, adverbs etc.

Share expanded noun phrases and get the children to assess against the sc.

Or how about doing Dear Father Christmas? Comprehension then children look at features of a letter and write their own letter to Santa.

5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Have you been given a brief in terms of what to teach in your interview lesson? In my school when we recruit teaching colleagues, we give a brief on the topic of what the lesson should be based upon, but give the autonomy to teach how they want (to a certain extent)