1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 instruction writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bounce83, Dec 6, 2011.

1. We've gone a bit abstract with our instructions planning and have begun to think about writing instructions as if we are safari rangers.... along the line of 'How to clean an elephant'. We're making a book of guidelines for new rangers. Any useful suggestions for where we could take this? Have sorted 2 lessons of modelled and paired writing.... need to find 2 more. We could be observed in any of these 4 lessons. If we're being observed would getting them to prepare a speech for new rangers be a good idea? They could then deliver the instructions verbally. Am a bit stuck! Any help would be great.

Thanks!

2. We've gone a bit abstract with our instructions planning and have begun to think about writing instructions as if we are safari rangers.... along the line of 'How to clean an elephant'. We're making a book of guidelines for new rangers. Any useful suggestions for where we could take this? Have sorted 2 lessons of modelled and paired writing.... need to find 2 more. We could be observed in any of these 4 lessons. If we're being observed would getting them to prepare a speech for new rangers be a good idea? They could then deliver the instructions verbally. Am a bit stuck! Any help would be great.

Thanks!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Personally I think using 'Talk for Writing' would be good for an observation.
    AS for How to keep your elephant clean I would try to find a 'How to keep your xxxxx clean' to use as a model and look with the children at which aspects/words would have to be changed.

4. Yes thanks- have included some word thieving with swag bags and have generated a 'How to keep your lion clean' set of instructions. We will also watch a video of an elephant being cleaned to prompt some discussion.
    Was thinking of pairing the 'rangers' up to work together. They can then pair with another pair and listen to eachother's talks and criticise them if I give them a guieline of things to look for. How does that sound?
    Thanks again!

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Guidelines of what to look for in the talks would be good for AfL.
    Using a video sounds good too, and I suggest a word bank of useful words/phrases.

6. I'm doing this at the moment, too! After all those weeks on DINOSAUR REPORTS (I love Literacy more than life itself but this topic made me want to DIE) I am absolutely delighted to have started it! [​IMG]
    I think this is a gorgeous idea but it might be quite tricky, especially for lower-achievers? I would begin by coming up with instructions for something absolutely not abstract. I don't mean spend forever planning and drafting and writing them up and making them beautiful. Just so everybody is absolutely crystal clear on the form you're after and so can completely 'give' themselves over to this lovely, abstract idea.
    Everything is completely bloody higgeldy-piggeldy at my school at the moment (I assume pretty much everybody else is the same!) due to various festivities, so this is not ideal in the least and I am having to seriously squish a two-week unit which it would be nice to loiter a little over. But here is how I'm doing it:
    - a 'what do you know and what do you need to know?' bit
    - we've looked back at shizz we made for enterprise week and I showed them the recipes/sets of instructions on the IWB. We looked at the form and thought about this in relation to the purpose. Compared it to other genres etc.
    - Gave them differentiated photocopies of recipes to highlight and annotate these key features.
    - Have them do a really basic, everyday activity (in this case, washing their hands. And since 90% of my class constantly have a finger up a nostril this will be pleasing!). Orally rehearse instructions for it. Work in groups to bash out some instructions. Just on sugar paper, you know. Not bothered about gorgeous work for a display (although I reckon I'll put them on the working wall...), just want to know they fully get it.
    This is two lessons...
    Then the actual instructions for the sandwiches.
    Bad luck being observed so near to Xmas! Although I'm sure you will be great cos your idea is absolutely lovely. If Y3 didn't always do that sandwich-thing at my school, I'd do something lovely and abstract, too. Tell you what I have done before, albeit with Y4 and Y5: A Recipe for Teacher Pie. They really go bananas on coming up with the most hideous ingredients ever hoho. Might set that for hmwk this weekend... [​IMG]

7. Thanks- lots of great ideas!
    We have 3 days before the full week to look at other instructions. Am hoping we will follow some instructions, identify the features and give verbal instructions in these 3 days. We may not have time to do comparisons.... we can catch up with that after observation week. Hopefully these 3 lessons will be enough to give them the 'basics' they need to know for instruction writing.

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

my year 3's enjoyed games and instructions.they played the game and then wrote a version to explain.we use ludo ad dnakes and ladders.
    We also wrote recipies for basic cooking which they carried out under supervision.....