1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Gymnastics Observation

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by gmwatts, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hello!
    I'm a student in my final teaching practice currently being observed every week!
    My next observation is in a Gymnastics lesson for Year 3. So far we have looked at different ways of moving across the mat, and also different ways of balancing and then sequencing these movements into a mini-performance.

I'm struggling for ideas for what to do next as I am a tad apprehensive to get the apparatus out during an observation even though it will look good. My observer has hinted to me to think about 'teaching points' during the lesson, can anyone share a light on what she means by this?

Thank you!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Are you getting them to thnk of movements/ideas eg 'see how many ways you can slide under/over/around your apparatus' or are you teaching them formally eg 'today we are doing a forward roll'?
    Teaching points are the key things/points needed to perform a skill or tactical play etc properly eg 'tuck up tightly' 'support your bodyweight on your hands' 'keep you body low to the ground'
    I would guess she may think you are not re-inforcing these verbally during the lesson. You can call these out as the children are working - keep to 2 or 3 otherwise it will be confusing
    End of the lesson plenary 'what were the key points of todays lesson children?' 'what did you hear e saying to you whilst you were working?'

3. Thank you for your quick reply! I was thinking of looking at the different balances we can make on apparatus. Can they show me a balance on 2 points, 3 points etc. A teaching point surely would then be to think about how we can balance without wobbling and ensuring our bodies are still?

I have decided to split the class of 24 into 3 groups of 8. 1 group working on the frame, 1 group on the horses, and 1 group on the mats/benches. I thought this would be better for organisational purposes, that we rotate around and then I wouldn't have 24 kids running to the big frame.

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

How many benches and how many mats do you have? how many children in the class? how many boxes/tables/horses do you have?
    I would approach it differently.
    I would have 6 groups of 4 ( 4 mats, 2 benches, 1 or 2 larger pieces) or 12 pairs using similar apparatus (1 bench, 2 mats) and not have them rotate.
    If doing balances look at a theme like symmetry and assymetry. Links with maths and language. Get them to do symmetrical balances, then make them assymetrical. etc
    If you want more help, PM me