1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Guided Reading Help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by JODIEWT, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi everyone
    I need some help with Guided Reading. I want to set up a carousel of activities for differentiated groups in my Y3 class. (I've read on here how people set up trays with the activities in so children know what they need to do). I am happy to organise the groups so that they are either 1) reading with me 2) doing a follow-up activity 3) sharing a book with a partner 4) independently reading 5) completing a phonics or spelling activity and so on.
    What I am struggling with though is texts suitable for all my readers (ranging from a level 1B to a 3B) and the activities to go with them. I need actvities that will provide evidence for APP.
    Can any Year 3 or KS1 teachers recommend good texts for HA, MA and LA readers? I'd rather use 'real' texts rather than reading scheme books which can be a bit dry - I want them to love reading! Although I do understand that my very low ability readers will need more of a phonics input!
    I've been deliberating over the Scholastic Read & Respond series. Has anyone used these and can tell me if they are worth buying as a guided reading tool?
    Thanks in advance
    J x

2. Hi everyone
    I need some help with Guided Reading. I want to set up a carousel of activities for differentiated groups in my Y3 class. (I've read on here how people set up trays with the activities in so children know what they need to do). I am happy to organise the groups so that they are either 1) reading with me 2) doing a follow-up activity 3) sharing a book with a partner 4) independently reading 5) completing a phonics or spelling activity and so on.
    What I am struggling with though is texts suitable for all my readers (ranging from a level 1B to a 3B) and the activities to go with them. I need actvities that will provide evidence for APP.
    Can any Year 3 or KS1 teachers recommend good texts for HA, MA and LA readers? I'd rather use 'real' texts rather than reading scheme books which can be a bit dry - I want them to love reading! Although I do understand that my very low ability readers will need more of a phonics input!
    I've been deliberating over the Scholastic Read & Respond series. Has anyone used these and can tell me if they are worth buying as a guided reading tool?
    Thanks in advance
    J x