1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 3 Fractions

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whoa there pickle, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Hi there I am doing fractions with my Year 3 class and the difference in what they can do is vast. This I can cope with but I just wondered what exactly they should know in year 3, I am finding the new framework a bit vague. In some places I am seeing I should be doing working out fractions of amounts but other plans don't mention it. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

2. Hi there I am doing fractions with my Year 3 class and the difference in what they can do is vast. This I can cope with but I just wondered what exactly they should know in year 3, I am finding the new framework a bit vague. In some places I am seeing I should be doing working out fractions of amounts but other plans don't mention it. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

3. I am doing fractions at the moment with mine, i'm covering fractions of amounts and shapes, equivalent fractions, i think they need to know 1/2, 1/4, 3/4 and then 3rds, 10ths, 5ths. I always used to use the vocab book as the 'bible' to see what they needed to know from there but now with new framework it's not so clear.

Be interested to see what anyone else knows!?

4. That is good to know, I did fractions of amounts with mine today and they really struggled eg finding a quarter and three quarters of 16 etc.

5. I'd go back to finding fractions of shapes and identifying them then when you revisit fractions do fractions of amounts.

6. Thanks Nutty, I have just found some bits on primaryresources that I can use tomorrow and I might take another cake in or something- they enjoyed that last time lol!

7. In my Year 3 class fractions. I have top set so these kids are generally quite bright, the problem I found working out fractions of numbers was their security with their tables, the ones who struggled were the children with weak times table recollection...Primaryresources has some lovely shape sheets that you could use and differentiate appropriately.

x

8. Find with fractions that doing it practically (with food!) works wonders. It is also a concept that some children grasp but others don't get. When it is revisited in the summer term more children will get it. Cakes, pizzas etc... always go down well!!

9. This is true, individual fairy cakes are good because they can eat their fraction yummy!

10. I think that is the problem with fractions full stop. Many children don't have a secure enough understanding of times tables so find fractions hard as it is so dependent on knowing number facts.

11. Ah yes, the summer term ;)

12. Thanks all and Penguin stop thinking about cakes lol!